Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sunday Will Come

This picture of Xela and me was taken 30 years ago in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.    I love it!  A couple of weeks ago I was holding my sweet little granddaughter, Jessalyn; she has been living in our home for seven months now so I have closely watched her grow from a preemie newborn to a chubby, happy 8 month old.  As I was holding her I felt this overwhelming feeling of love in my heart for her and gratitude for my five babies.  I loved my babies.  Having these two little girls, Jessalyn and Keira, living with us seems like a second chance at loving unconditionally.  I feel that kind of love for all of my grandchildren; I'm hoping their parents will benefit.

There have been some eventful happenings lately:  two 5K races, one 5.25 mile trail race, attending my oldest son's 2nd business location grand opening, getting answers from General Conference, Easter, teaching two Gospel Doctrine Sunday School lessons (gulp), and receiving a tender mercy while in the temple (other blog). And of course confronting all my weaknesses. 

I've been reading a remarkable book called, "Rescuing Wayward Children" by Larry Barkdull.  The greatest truth I have learned is the importance of sanctifying ourselves so we can therefore redeem our children.  I learned that I need to let the Lord do His work, trust Him, have faith in Him, and know that He knows what is best whether change takes place tomorrow or 50 years from now.  And perhaps even after we've left this frail existence. 

Elder Wirthlin gave a General Conference talk in October 2006, titled, "Sunday Will Come."  He said, "Each of us will have our own Fridays--those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces and it seems we can never be put together again.  But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death--Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come.  No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come.  In this life or in the next, Sunday will come."  

6 comments:

manda carol said...

Thank you Aunt Linda. The words of Elder Wirthlin were the words that my heart has been aching to hear. Love you!

Sharron said...

Thank you Linda. Would it be selfish of me to say that you seem to come up with the perfect words when I need them? Bless you for living close to the spirit and teach so many of us.

Miriam said...

Love that pic!! I always appreciate your wisdom. Love you....

LucyH said...

I love that picture! Could Xela be any more scrumptious?! And your tender mercy in the temple put some tears in my eyes! He is right by us!!

charmaine said...

You always seem to have the right things to say when I need them. Keep on posting.

Katrina said...

Loved your blog post Linda. You are such an amazing woman! I have looked up to you my whole life. You always had such wonderful words and such a beautiful smile. Thank you