Saturday, January 5, 2013

This Is Going to be a Long One!

My Painting Projects!
 Popsicle Stick Grandchildren

An Old Bookcase


Two of many pots!! 

Last summer I picked up a paintbrush and started painting designs on many of the old empty flower pots we've collected over the years.  They actually looked kind of good, so I thought why not try furniture?  We had an old toy chest where I painted my grandchildren in the shape of popsicle sticks.  They each have features that show who they are.  When they come to visit they love looking at themselves!  Then there was this old bookcase that needed help.  I painted lots of desert animals and background only to be covered by books, but the fun was in the doing!  I've gathered some chairs, end tables and other old furniture, just waiting, that could use a little refurbishing.  Never thought I had it in me!  None are perfect, but that adds to the look, right?

Thanksgiving 2012

The weekend before Thanksgiving we had a Goodman Family reunion in Tucson.  Jorgen and his family, as well as Gens and his family were able to come and see their 94 year old grandma, aunts, uncles, and many cousins.    
 
 Mogollon
Rim
 The Five Goodman Grandsons (we have six, but Ben was asleep!)

Missing is a picture of Kylamarie LaDean Goodman :-(

For Thanksgiving Nick and family joined us, but we lost Jorgen, Amy and the girls because Amy's family came to AZ for the holiday, at Kohl's Ranch near Payson on the Mogollon Rim.  We had such a great time hiking, exploring the "crick" and playing at this ideal kid's playground, the outdoors.  

Quick Trip to Sedona

Nick on one of our many hikes.
My arms aren't long enough for a self-taking photo

 This cairn represents each member of our family (and those to come); we are at 19 now.  I placed this at the end of a  3 mile deep canyon, to me a sacred place, far away from the world.  The only way out is up if you have wings or to hike back the way you came. 
  
Ah, Sedona, with all its hiking spots and vortexes.  I love this place.  Maybe there's something to being more meditatively in tune while visiting the red rocks and leaving civilization, because I sure feel good when I'm there!
Christmas 2013 

 Ben isn't so sure about Santa Claus, although he does look familiar!
 Sam and Jake spent a couple of days with us during the Christmas break!  I had so much fun playing soccer, baseball, and shooting arrows with the new bow we bought.  Brought back so many memories of watching and playing with my kids at Arthur Pack Park.
 Jessalyn trying to ride a javalina at the Desert Museum
Keira and her new puppy scout, who rode in the stroller and wagon more than the girls did!

Nick and Rachel invited us to their home for a Christmas Eve (although it was the night before Christmas Eve) feast and a visit from Santa Claus.  The food was wonderful, and so was the company.  I hope it's a tradition they will continue.

Jorgen, Amy, Keira, Jess, and Scout, the new puppy came for the real Christmas Eve and spent the rest of the week.  Christmas morning is so much better with little children, watching their wonder and delight at all the delicious gifts under the tree.  Of course we played all week long; a grandma's dream!

SUGARFREE     

What I'm most excited to share is I decided to stop eating refined sugar right before Christmas, yeah, I know, bad timing.  I felt like my life was totally out of control, rather my eating was, which is common this time of year with all the sweets.  But it was controlling me.  And because of things I had read, and impressions I felt from the spirit, refined sugar is the culprit.  Yes, I've had some "white knuckle" days, not unlike someone addicted to hard drugs.  It has been almost 28 days, and I feel so much better.  In fact I could tell a difference in two days.  I eat lots of fruit and good meals, just no refined sugar or processed foods that have a lot of added sugar in all forms.  My energy and my feelings of self-worth are back. I've started running again.  And, And I've lost over 10 pounds in this short time.  It's an answer to prayer!
   





3 comments:

Sharron said...

Oh so much fun!! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the grand kids so much. I have never seen much of Sedona other than the slide rock area. Jon & I need to go do some exploring, don't we?

Mariah said...

I'm in LOVE with your painting projects!! They look fantastic! What fun things for the grandkids to look at. The popsicle stick kiddos is super cute. Did you free-hand the pots?

Every time I wrap one of my baby girls in the blanket you made (with the matching burp cloths) I smile as I cuddle them in it. I still love that I got to be a recipient of your craftiness. It does my heart good. It'll be one of those special things I save for them to use with their own babies, as I tell them all about Miss Linda. You are a truly talented woman...and an inspiration.

What fun family time you had over the holidays! Those grandkids are SO cute.

John and Becky Bowler said...

What a great update! You have talent with painting. Seems like it would be a fun hobby. It looks like you guys had a fun and busy holiday season with family. It went by way too quick. I can't believe January is 1/2 over. Great job with the no sugar. You have some serious discipline lady!