Saturday, February 14, 2009

Looking at Things a Little Differently

My Four Grandsons
As Nick and I walked around the corner to the Tortolita Middle School soccer field we saw the usual parent crowd gathered to watch their young sons and daughters play soccer. What we heard was also the normal cheering of parents directed toward their little children running up and down the field. There were two games being played, one by 6-7 year olds and the other 4-5 year olds. We were there to watch our 4 year old grandson play on the Blue Dolphins team.

Today something was different for me. I have watched a lot of soccer, football, basketball, and baseball games, as well as field and track events where my children have been the participants and fierce competitors. I have cheered them on to victory and wept with them when the outcome was not victorious. Today, I was acutely aware and almost sad listening to parents yelling at their young son or daughter to "get the ball," "the other way, the other way," "pay attention," etc., etc. which are all words I said a million times to my own children. Today I watched and listened with grandma eyes and ears. I kept thinking to myself that they are just little children. Is it good for a child to be involved in competitive sports at a young age? My answer is yes and perhaps no. Yes, because of the physical coordination it teaches, social interaction, and team unity. Perhaps no, because of the tendency towards aggression. I could almost see bullies in the making today.

Please don't feel I am against team sports or competition, but after today when I watch my little grandchildren play sports I will be encouraging them to just have fun! Competition may breed success, but it can also breed selfishness.

12 comments:

Robin and Larry said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE.. THAT PICTURE! :)

Robin and Larry said...

wait a min. does this mean I am a BAD FRIEND because I didn't come to the Turkey thing last night? huh? j/k
I know you still LOVE me! Right? :)

LucyH said...

Well said!!! I am totally grateful for sports, but I think there are limits that we need to take when we sign our kids up. I definitely don't want my kids thinking that is the only important thing in life. I just realized that you have no granddaughters!

dhillman said...

I agree. Their is a fine line when it comes to competition and it is up to parents to teach it.

I ADORE that picture. Who took it? They like photoshop too! It is so, so cute.

Mindie said...

Linda, that is the most amazing picture of you and those grandboys. I have got to have that kind a relationship with my grandkids.
I also can't help but agree with you on the Sports point of view. That is why my kids only play if they want and its only to help them learn teamwork and get out and exercise.

Cami Epperson said...

I would have to completely agree with you. When Bretton is old enough I do want him to play sports, if he wants to (which I think he will because he's already obsessed with trowing and kicking soccer balls, not to mention head butting them on Wii Fit!), but I hope to not be one of those parents that makes their kid feel like winning is everything. I guess there's good and bad to everyting, right?

Sharron said...

That is the best picture! SO you and Nick ... I sure agree with your comments about the sports. I noticed some of my children's team mates being yelled at early on and saw how it made the kids feel. So often it was the better athletes being ragged on and the kids who weren't as skilled felt like they were real losers if the "good" players had goofed up. Did that make sense?!?!?

Kathryn said...

I have been learning lessons on perspective lately. It is always good to hear peoples perspective on things because they are often different then our own depending on the stage of life we are in. I will remember what you have discovered as we start another sports season, dance class etc. Thanks!

Kathryn said...

Oh I forgot to say how much I love that picture. It is so fun and shows how much you enjoy your grandkids! Hi to Uncle Nick!

Dansie Family said...

those are totally my words. and i am bracing myself for another soccer season. my son isn't the most coordinated or focused 6 year old out there, but maybe i should just let him have fun. it is just hard to watch your son and think he is the worst one on the field, but as long as he is having fun it shouldn't mater. he'll get better as he grows. thanks for the insight.

Mariah said...

Beautiful picture! Thanks for the reminder to all of us with kids at that beginning sports age. It is to socialize them and hopefully get some coordination developed. My poor kids only get coordination genes from their Dad, although their Mom sure tried hard back in the day. ;)What a fantastic perspective for us all to keep in mind.

Joni said...

Oh wow! I LOVE the picture!!!