Monday, September 7, 2009

I Had A Baby or Something Like It!

Today I ran 8 miles over the toughest course I have ever run. I kept thinking this is like getting pregnant and giving birth again. Why do I say that? Because I did this same course last year in the Sahuaro National Park Labor (get it?) Day Race and wanted to die at the end! "I'm never doing this again!!" Isn't that like childbirth--you forget how much it hurt? I even had a transition area today, at the top of the two mile hill--it had to get better after that grueling, painful part. I'm not sure when I was able to push, maybe as I came around the corner and saw the finish line. Will I do it again? Hmm, give me another nine months, we'll see?

Actually, as I was running and thought of this analogy, I also thought of how this can apply to life, to anyone's life, especially women. By nature we love, we care, and we can forgive very quickly. That's not to say men can't, but we have been blessed with an extra measure of these things. Life is labor. Some experiences can cause a lot of pain. Sure there are epidurals and other ways to lessen the pain (maybe that could be family, friends, scriptures, prayer, etc.) but our body has to do hard work to produce the ultimate, beautiful result, a new born baby---or faith, or hope, or courage to do what the Lord has commanded. I am as thrilled when I "give birth" to these divine qualities as I was when I gave birth to a sweet little spirit.

8 comments:

Kim Krok said...

Your analogy is so clever and true. Thank you for sharing your inspirations, that is just what I needed to hear right now. i can't wait to run again after this pregnancy! I miss how many thoughts and epiphanies come to you while you are out there on your own with tons of time to just think.

Sharron said...

I must share this with Rob at boot camp. He needs it right now. His feet and hands are extremely swollen and they can't seem to get it to go down. They must see something they want to hang on to cause I have seen guys sent home for way less! But this analogy would be as helpful for him as it is for me. . . . well, helpful, but maybe he won't identify with it as much ;-) Thanks for sharing these thoughts! I wait for them!

Mindie said...

Good Work. Yep I would say your a very good inspiration. I want to be just like you when I grow up!

Mariah said...

Now, that's the kind of baby to have...they don't get sassy and naughty; you just get all the beauty and satisfaction of making it. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing these thoughts with us.

dhillman said...

Way to go! I am always in awe.

manda carol said...

What amazing insight Aunt Linda. I always look forward to your blog posts. You are truly weaving quite the legacy for those around you. Thank you. Love you!

Sandi and Curtis said...

I am amazed at how much you guys are running down there in Tucson? Analogy...very good! I don't think I want to find out! I Enjoy your blog!

Dansie Family said...

i really need to try that run. i ran the loop with a few miles of the dirt trail earlier this year when i visited my sis and it was killer! it was hot and hilly. but it was beautiful!