Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Saturday

Last Saturday, November 14, I drove to Snowflake, Arizona with my mother-in-law to attend the funeral of a man I had only met once, maybe twice. By the end of the services I was really sorry I hadn't known him or been friends with him. The life story, the talks, the sharing from relatives was glowing and uplifting. He was a genuine family man, who loved everyone and everyone loved him. His funeral was the kind I would like for myself, or a close loved one. I'm sure this man wasn't perfect (there were some great stories told!) but he lived his life serving others and serving his God.

Harry and Ruth were married for 18 years. She brought three daughters to the marriage and he one. Her three are the daughters of my brother-in-law. They are beautiful women, inside and out, with children of their own. What makes this a unique situation is the Christ-like love all family members feel for each other. The love is palatable. I can feel it and touch it. What could be uncomfortable or even unbearable, isn't.

Funerals are so much more than sorrow felt, or grief, but a manifestation of God's love for each of us.


3 comments:

dhillman said...

I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on this experience. It gave me stuff to think about!
And what a beautiful cornucopia!

Dunklees said...

I love how the gospel gives earthly sorrows an eternal perspective!

Sharron said...

Aren't you so eternally thankful for our understanding at these times? What would our lives be like without the gospel and our appreciation of our eternal families. Thanks for the post!