Saturday, February 20, 2010

Take Care of Your Mental Health

The subject of mental health has been on my mind (no pun intended) a lot lately. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to say, but I feel there could be someone who reads my blogs that may need to think about this subject either for themselves or for a loved one.

There are many grades or levels of mental illness from slight to very severe. I am no expert, but I do know a little bit about clinical depression because a member of my family suffers from this, and it is debilitating. Just like the ad says, "it hurts, it hurts everyone."

What are you doing for your mental health? Let's face it life can "suck" some days (sorry for the expletive) but it's what you do with those days that matters. I do not discount chemical imbalances nor make light of this very real condition, but I believe people can learn skills to counteract an oncoming episode. It takes desire, it takes being aggressive, even though the depressed person doesn't feel like it, and it takes being proactive. And truth be told, anti-depressant pills only cover the real cause, plus they can either stop working or they don't work at all.

Maybe a person has said, "if only I had more faith, if only I said more fervent prayers, then I would feel better, I wouldn't feel so sad." It's what we pray for that makes the difference. We pray to be taught or shown where and how to get help, to learn the skills needed to fight off this debilitating kind of mental illness. And it is a fight, it is a struggle, but the fight is worth feeling well.

Taking care of your mental health is as important as taking care of your physical and spiritual health.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I 100% agree. I know that your words of wisdom will truly inspire and help others. Thanks Linda!

Dunklees said...

I'm sure you were inspired to write that post for somebody in particular, and I think it is a great reminder for the rest of us! Thanks!

dhillman said...

I agree with you and think we have been given the tools we need. I think spiritual physical and mental health are all very closely related!

Dansie Family said...

amen! i know when i exercise or even just get out in the sunshine and fresh air, my mental health gets a much needed boost. i probably should spend as much effort on my spiritual health as i do my mental and physical.

ps. it was nice to talk to nick when he was down. we didn't hook up, but we had a nice chat on the phone. i know they are busy training and all. i have officially signed up to strip wetsuits at the race, so hopefully i will get to see rachel and cheer her on.

Mindie said...

I am super happy I have your blogs to turn to, they are truly a inpiration. Thank you for your care and prayers. Do you have a email address? Mine is mindiebean@gmail.com