Last Saturday I drove to Mesa to attend the 9:30 session at the temple; my daughter-in-law joined me which was wonderful to share that experience with her. On the way up I listened to one of my books on CD, but told myself that as I got closer to the Temple I should put in a Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD to prepare me for service and sacred instruction. Just as I drove onto the 202 "How Firm a Foundation" began playing.
A flood of glorious memories washed over me, and the water works began. It wasn't the song necessarily, but thinking about all of the beloved hymns I sang as a child in church with my family. The hymns are powerful spiritual giants who lift, inspire, and invite the listener and singer to desire only what is good in life. I love to sing and to listen to the hymns.
5 comments:
I agree so much with your sentiments.
I am listening to them and primary songs more all the time the last couple of years.
Did you get teary eyed when we stood to sing our anthem this morning? I t just sounds differently when we sing it at church.
I have another very busy long day ahead of me without my "support" system in place. One guess what I'm going to listen to to sustain me!! . . . with some primary thrown in!!
Hi Linda!
Yes, we get to go to the Tucson camp. Tucson stakes get first pick on the dates and we get last pick! But that is fine with us, we are just grateful to be able to go there!
I almost came to your house that day. I knew exactly where you lived and decided if Ivy was still crying and having a hard time then I was going to come to your door and beg for relief!:) It happened that she fell asleep and I decided to just go for it. I figured if she got bad again I would turn around and go to your house since traffic the other way was clear. She slept until I got to the freeway and by then it was worth it to go home. Thanks for offering and I knew you would welcome me with open arms! I should have stopped by just to say hi, but I was probably looking a little teared stained and frazzled:)
There is something about music being able to touch you in ways that nothing else can. I too am so grateful for all the beautiful hymns.
Music is so powerful! One of the great blessings in life:) Thanks for sharing
Post a Comment