HERE WE GO!!! Twenty-six 4th Year YW (15 year olds), six YCLs (Youth Camp Leader, 16-17 year olds), two adult leaders (older than the girls), and five Priesthood Leaders (we've never had this many) pose at the beginning of our two day, 12 mile backpacking hike on the Butterfly Trail, Mt. Lemmon. We are fresh, clean, and eager to hit the trail. At lease some of the group was! As I began my hike up the road I remembered what I was in for over the next couple of days. Pain, dirt, little sleep, more pain, more dirt, and less sleep were to be my companions! I asked myself, "and why am I doing this?"
Even days before the hike began I felt some doubt because of nose bleeds I kept having. They were gushers and I just couldn't see being out there on the trail dripping blood all over. I asked my home teacher for a priesthood blessing of healing, did some research on the whys and what to dos about nose bleeds so I did feel more confident after arming myself with faith and with knowledge.The first night I gave up my tent and my sleeping pad to a girl that struggled the entire time. She kept getting leg cramps, threw up a lot, and had to rest an unbelievable amount of time. It was decided that the next morning she would have to hike with the Priesthood leader, who carried his pack and her pack most of the way, the one mile trail to the main highway and go back to Camp Zion. Another girl felt she, too, was to sick to hike the last 6 miles with the rest of us, and so hiked out with them. But when she got back to camp her YW leader let her rest a bit, hydrate, and then they hiked back out of camp and met us later on the trail. Impressive!
The whole group woke up the second day not really sure they could make it to the end. There were tears and there was fear. I had similar thoughts, too, especially when it came to putting that back pack back on. It hurt! We had a little pep talk about praying for strength that our burdens would be made lighter. I know it worked for me and many of the girls.
My co-leader, Kristen Mitchell, thought the Tarzan yell should be our signature cheer! Where I got the energy, I don't know!We arrived at our second night's camp spot much quicker than the first night which gave us several hours of recovery time. The girls were cheerful and grateful. I was still thinking they can do the hike without me next year.
The last morning was my turn to lead the devotional. I chose to talk to the girls about having the courage to stand for truth and righteousness, and specifically talk about the Family Proclamation. I had had a dream the month before that I needed to talk to them about families being under attack and how they can help by their example of righteous living. As I listened during the hike to the young women share stories of their families, many of whom come from non-traditional and somewhat dysfunctional families I knew there was purpose in that dream.
We all walked into camp amidst cheers, tears, and love. I was relieved of the burden of my back pack by a sweet sister and led to a foot bath, back rub, and refreshing ice cold drink. Ah, it felt so good. But I'm still thinking that I just can't do this another year--a whole lot of work, I'm tired, and it's too hard! I went to take a much needed shower to wash off the grunge. I began to feel something stirring in my heart. I argued, "No, I'm too old, I can't do this!" I got dressed and the feeling persisted. I kept arguing, but finally I felt a strong prompting that this is where I'm supposed to be, teaching girls that they (we) can do hard things. I told the Stake leaders if they want me back I will lead next year's 4th year hike. I have already started planning and preparing!

10 comments:
I was just waiting for that last paragraph, I knew you would do it!
Those lucky blessed girls, they could not have a better leader!
How lucky are those girls to have you as their fearless leader? I think it is not coincidental that the same week you were teaching a group of young women that we can do hard things; my group of young women here in NY were also learning that we can do hard things. It was the main theme of our Friday night testimony meeting ~ what a treat it was to watch the girls make the correlation that being daughters of our Heavenly Father means that we are able to do hard things!
I love you Aunt Linda! You are such an amazing example of love, service and faith. I see the example you set and know that I too can do hard things. I love that idea. The girls who are taught by you are so blessed! You are amazing and SO loved!
Those girls are sooooo lucky to get you on their hike! I hope you continue to go because I know you are so awesome with them! I am jealous too because I really wanted to go to camp this year. I would love to do the 4th year hike! Also, for your nose bleeds...if you drink 1/2 tsp of cayenne in some water then it will stop your nosebleed. Warning: it will be hot but the heat will not linger for too long. Love ya linda!
What a great post! Those girls looked they had a wonderful time. Even though it was tiring and made you sore...you'll look back on it with great memories!! Thank you for serving those girls!
I just love you and your great attitude! You are a great example of trust, faith, service and love.
You make me want to be a better person.
I sure miss Tucson's girls camp. I have many memories from there. But I also remember the many young women lessons and mutual activities that you taught us. I hope you keep on giving those girls your warm loving smile! Thanks for the memories! Serina
Those girls are so lucky to have you. I admire that you followed he spirit so closely that you know exactly what these girls need to hear.
You had asked where girls camp was held for our stake and it was close to Flagstaff near Mormon Lake called St. Joseph's Camp. It was a great camp with running water, retrooms, a mess hall and several small cabins for the YCLS.
Good times!!
what an adventure! they are lucky, as was i, to have you for a leader. it'll be an experience they will always remember and treasure.
I know I'm not the only one who sees you as a hero. Your blog messages always fill my spirit with love and strength. I sure love you Aunt Linda!
Post a Comment