Saturday, September 18, 2010

Do you promise? Yes, I promise!

I have been thinking about promises lately.

I volunteer at Pima County Jail as an advocate for victims of crime. Within 24 hours of being arrested defendants appear before a judge who reads their case and determines if they will be released on their own recognizance, post bail, or stay incarcerated. If any victims show up to this video court, I let them know what their rights are as victims.

When I'm not talking to a victim I sit in the courtroom (if you want to call it that, it's actually a cafeteria/meeting room) and watch individuals on video camera from the jail while they talk to the judge who is sitting behind the judge's bench a few feet from the room I'm in.

The judge sometimes reminds the defendant that they didn't show up for a hearing that they had promised they would show up for, or he tells them when the next hearing is and he asks, "do you promise to show up?" At which they always reply, "yes sir, I promise I will show up." The judge makes sure they say they "promise." To me, it's almost like a joke.

Because of this exchange I assume saying you "promise" must mean something important. But I worry in today's world it doesn't mean much more than nothing. I've had discussions with those who think the "f" word is just a word, that it doesn't mean anything. Or perhaps even the word "love" doesn't mean anything.

I'm going to change that at least for myself. If I promise something--I will follow through. If I make a covenant, I will keep it.

Tell me what does a promise mean to you?

5 comments:

Sharron said...

I'm thinking, deeply!

Sharron said...

Been thinking about his all afternoon. Remember when you tried to not say that you promised something to your kids so that when you did say it, they knew how important it was to you and should be to them as well? It about destroyed me when I did say that I promised and then couldn't come through for them.

That made me realized how important for us to have a way of letting others know how important keeping a promise was or having integrity.

It has become a foreign idea to so many and that makes it hard to know who to trust or what is really important to one.

Wouldn't that make a good training experience for making sacred covenants? Jon & I tried to use promise making and keeping for that.

Cherise said...

I enjoyed reading this. You brought a lot of insight into what basic principles are being missed... if we aren't accountable to anyone who are we accountable to? I wonder if they or we even keep promises to ourself? I suppose this is where it must start! I need to always keep the promises I make to myself, which sometimes can be hard! (Just thinking out loud)

LucyH said...

A promise is something that a person follows through on and the other person/persons can count on it to be done. It is faith and trust in ourselves and others. I agree I think people nowadays throw that word around too casually. So good to see you at the shower! So are we going to promise to each other that we'll do the triathalon???

John and Becky Bowler said...

Thanks for posting that. Interesting way to view promises. I like it.