Saturday, May 14, 2011

St. George--The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

Nick and I drove to St. George, Utah last week to watch Nick Jr compete in the St. George Ironman, and for a little get-away.  Jorgen and his family joined us, too.  Nick swam 2.4 miles in the Sand Hollow Resevoir, biked 112 miles up and down hills, and ran 26.2 miles up and down some of the same hills in his fastest Ironman time ever!  He finished in 9 hours and 53 minutes (oops, Ironman website says 9:38!).  Can you imagine doing that?  He was prepared after months of training and has again qualified for Ironman Hawaii.  (I get to go, too!)  So many things can go wrong: getting kicked in the head as 1600 swimmers take off at the same time, flat tire (s), heat exhaustion, etc., but Nick was blessed!  A perfect race! 

The Good--Nick Jr (33) coming across the finish line

While in St. George I went to Stan and Linda Fisher's home for a great visit with Linda and her daughter Elizabeth along with her cute little family.  Elizabeth is an active competitor, wife, mother of 4, YW President, and a good friend.  I remember cheering for her at high school track meets.  She is one of my heroes!

The Good--Dansie Family and Linda Fisher

This is the UGLY!!!  Some way, some how I picked up a nasty eye infection the day before we left for home.  It was so bad and painful that within a few hours I was sitting in a walk-in clinic to find some relief.  The next morning my eye was swollen as well as oozing goop.  I almost wondered if I was bitten by a spider?

The Ugly!

While in St. George we hooked up with some dear friends we met while living in Cuba.  Rick was a Marine without his family. Our friendship has stayed strong over the miles and years.  This is the third time we've seen each other in the past 27 years, but it was as if time stood still, except for the white hair and love handles!
-The Good-
Rick, Nick, Linda, Sue, and Valorie

 
    
I was also able to see a niece I hadn't seen for a few years, and a nephew who just got married last week.  Who would have thought I would have this much of a connection with St. George!  All good things.  Another good thing--we took a tour of the St. George Tabernacle and I heard the sweetest testimony from the senior Sister missionary.  Wow, it was hard to tell whether my eye was weeping  because of the infection or emotion!

I do have to end with the bad.  When I got home on Tuesday evening my eye was ugly and my throat was bad.  I have had a raging sore throat for four days now.  Never in my life do I remember ever having my throat hurt this much.  There's congestion in the nose as well and some starting in the chest.  Xela had it a couple of weeks ago and survived, so I'm hoping I will, too.  But it's BAD!

6 comments:

Cherise said...

That's awesome! Go Nick!! The race results online said his time was 9:38:08... Did they post it wrong? Either way, that's crazy fast!! Whoa!

Dansie Family said...

it was so fun to see you!! thanks for taking the time. and you are my hero and always have been. i will continue to let my young women what a great yw pres i had and that i am just trying to be half of what you were for me.

tom just rode 1 loop of the bike course today. wow! he said it was crazy tough. nick jr is amazing! one day we will conquer that ironman, but we gotta get the kids a tad moer self sufficient first.

hope you are feeling better soon. and btw no eye infections for us. phew!

Dansie Family said...

and more cred for nick jr. the only woman who beat him was the 2 time sgim champ and professional triathlete, heather wurtele.

Miriam said...

I hope you have been to the doctor by this time! Your eye and your throat sound more serious than a virus! Miss you!

Sharron said...

Hahahaha, sorry that it hurts so much, but that pic is something else. Sure hope your eye is better by now.

Good for Mick Jr. It's kind of strange to see these kids in their 30's who are still so muscular and not even thinking about going soft. Tell him hi and congratulations for me!

Mariah said...

I can't even fathom doing an Ironman. I remember getting kinda mad in high school about not being a Goodman so I could be a good athlete. Try all you want to be good if the genes aren't there...well it's just not gonna happen. Huge congrats to a huge accomplishment!

I hope you feel better soon. What a ton of yuckiness, and just as it's starting to get hot. That makes is SO much worse.