I wish this picture were a little clearer, but if you look closely there is a coiled rattlesnake, shaking his booty, and ready to strike! I went hiking today, haven't been for some time because I've been traveling, and sick (so much better now, thank you). What a beautiful morning for hiking today! I went by myself, had asked someone to go with me, but they couldn't. It's probably a good thing!
I hiked in the foothills of the Catalinas where the trail begins as a graded road. It is very steep and gives me a good work out, then the road becomes a well-marked trail surrounded by desert vegetation. It is that time of year when hikers need to be thinking about rattlesnakes, and since I have met a few while hiking, those thoughts were definitely on my mind. I try not to bushwhack during the warmer months. Today, I decided to go down the trail where it forks instead of up just for some variety. I hadn't been on this particular part for a long time. I was bounding (as much as an overweight 63 year-old can bound) up a portion of the trail when all of a sudden I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and heard the distinct warning rattle of a venomous creature who could do me great harm. I was within four feet of a poisonous diamondback rattlesnake. I quickly turned, leaping back down the trail, almost falling in the process, to get out of the deadly serpent's grasp. I was in awe, and stood where I was safe, to observe him. For a full minute he sent off his warning signal, probably at least 8-10 buttons on his rattle, and remained in a striking pose. He was mad, and wanted to protect his territory, this was his trail, and he didn't want any visitors. My first and last thoughts were, "Thank you, dear God, for giving this beautiful and deadly animal a unique way to warn others so I would be safe today." I am still thanking Him.


5 comments:
I am thanking him also. SCARY!!! I don't like snakes at all! I am glad you are safe!
My running partner ran into a sidewinder a while back and we have been on the lookout ever since!
Be careful
I love animals but not those guys!
Um... yeah...snakes...you know my thoughts!
I am amazed that you had the tenacity to stand and view him long enough to get the photo! I think I would have had a heart attack right on the trail and then he would have bitten me anyway! Wow!
We're glad that you're safe!
We ran into a baby rattler hiking in the Weber Mtns a couple of months ago. It wasn't so brave to protect it's territory; as soon as we showed up he took off...
Post a Comment