Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"And a Little Child Shall Lead Them"

I have been wearing my Grandma hat a lot since July.  First there was premature labor, then a premature birth, then stuff, a trip with two of the grandsons, more stuff, and another trip coming up with four of the grand kids for Thanksgiving.  Don't get me wrong I'm loving it, but life has changed for me.  I remember remarking to Nick a few months earlier how much I like my life--come and go as I please, volunteer a couple of days a week, shop whenever, stay up late, hike and run any day I choose, fix dinner when I feel like it, travel, so forth and so on.   Oh, and my house stays clean.  Forgive me if I sound a little selfish. I must admit I had looked forward to my empty nest days.  Just being alone.  I do enjoy being alone oftimes, but not lonely.       

Grandma with Jess (3 months) and Keira (18 months)

Keira and Jess, along with their mom and dad, have spent several weeks in our home the past few months.  I love what I'm learning from these little girls.  Maybe I needed to have my self-centered life interrupted? 
Keira and Jess in their ballerina costumes

Remember the story about Peter walking on water?  Jesus told Peter to "Come" when Peter asked if it was Him out on the water.  Peter thought, " if my master can walk on the water and He asks me to come to Him, then I can walk on the water, too."  We know what happened, Peter faltered, started to sink into the sea, then Jesus reached for Him and walked Peter, on the water, back to the ship.  There are times when we are faced with a "walking on water" kind of situation.  The Lord will bid us to come, but we might think to ourselves, "this is too hard, I can't walk on this water."  I'm not referring to my sweet little grandchildren at all.  I am talking about trials or any adversity we may face.  I kind of like thinking about these as  "walk on water" experiences.  Even though we may lose faith and begin to sink once we have made the decision to come to our Lord, He will lift us and walk with us back to the ship.

3 comments:

Sharron said...

LOL I understand a lot of what you have expressed here. Where do we find a balance? That is the burning question. There are days when I long to have total control of my life and then there are days when I long to hold one of those little scamps in my arms so that I can cuddo them in the rocking chair.

I do wonder what I will do if and when one of my kids are not living in town and I can't see them so much. Scary thougt!

Miriam said...

Great analogy and thoughts!

Mariah said...

You need to write all your spiritual insights in a book....and I need a copy. :) This was such a good analogy. Now if I can just remember to reach up and grab on for my walk back to the ship...