Team "Ed's Crazy Ideas"
Last Friday and Saturday I had the awesome experience of running in a 12 person (we had 11 runners because one gal ran double legs) relay race from Wickenburg to Tempe, 200.2 miles of winding country roads, trails, small community, and large city streets. We loaded up in two huge rental vans and began our epic journey in Wickenburg at 12 noon when the Van 1 runners started. Runner number 7 in our van, Van 2, began his distance near Tonopah. Then it was my turn, runner #8. It was about 5:30 in the evening; we were 20 minutes ahead of schedule. Van 1 runners were fast and dedicated; like those in Van 2. I felt some pressure, but just kept telling myself, "all you can do Linda, is to do your best." No doubt about it I was the weakest link on the team, but although slow, I was steady and didn't quit. The run of 3.3 miles felt really good for an afternoon run, much better than last year. We kept passing off the slap bracelet for the next 22+ hours.
After our van runners finished we had about 4 hours to rest, then at 2:45 AM it was time for us to go again. My run of 4 miles began at 3:30 in the morning! The air was clean, cool and crisp. The sky was full of stars and planets; the tiny slice of moon had already set. I'm not terribly fond of running in the dark, but being a part of the team I committed to, I knew I didn't have a choice. I set out with my reflector vest, head lamp, and red blinking butt light. Again I felt some pressure because all of our team runners had now put us 30 minutes ahead of schedule. This was going to be my longest run, and up hill for much of it. "Just do your best Linda," I repeated over and over. It was an amazing run! My body felt as if I had lost 20 years back at the start. When I saw the lights at the exchange where I would pass the bracelet on to Xela, runner #9, I thought for sure I should have at least another mile to run. It was awesome to be given the additional strength and stamina I needed.
At 6:30 in the morning our van was ready for another rest, this time for 2 1/2 hours at the home of our fastest runner who was running an ultra (twice as many legs as us). Her home was just 10 minutes from the last stop. We actually did sleep, take showers and eat breakfast before we met Van 1 and their finish. Only one more leg to run for the rest of us. I was looking forward to this run because most of the 3.8 miles was downhill! We were still ahead of our projected schedule, this time by 45 minutes. I just didn't want a runner from "The Runaway Brides" to pass me. They seemed to be our closest competition. This run was at 11:00 and it had begun to heat up in the Phoenix valley. I was tired and I was hot, but made it to the pass off point without stopping for a rest. Yes, I was finished, done; it was over for me! Our van had 4 more legs to go so we followed our teammates, cheering them on whenever we saw them running along the busy streets of Scottsdale and Tempe.
Twenty-six hours and 31 minutes after we began we finished, 45 minutes faster than we thought we would according to each runners' average pace. Each member of the team tried their best and didn't give up ever, and that includes this 64 year old woman.
The prize at the end was and continues to be an indescribable feeling of real accomplishment, being part of a winning team of young athletic people. Our team, "Ed's Crazy Ideas," came in 2nd in our Mixed Division out of 203 mixed teams and 77th out of 414 teams total.

6 comments:
I want to do that next year! Great Job!
Awesome Linda! I have never really been interested in the Ragnar Relay but that was intriguing and sounded fun! I will have to run it one of these years.
Great job Linda and Company!!!
Way to GO! Proud of YOU! :)
That is awesome Linda, you truly inspire me!
Post a Comment