Saturday, September 8, 2012

Summertime Fun!

SUMMERTIME FUN!
Teresa, Karen, and Linda, BYU Education Week
Jess, Magnus, Kylamarie, Soren, Keira, and Dailan at Grandma's
Linda after 8 mile Labor Day Run, Saguaro National Park
New Hobby, painting pots




Summertime, and the living is easy!  It has been an easy summer.  We became "empty nesters" which means a quiet, but boring house!  July was spent cleaning and organizing rooms.  This is the first time we have not had anyone living with us in the 34 years we've had children.  I had not even totally unpacked since we moved back to Tucson 5 years ago (Nick still has stuff in boxes!).  In August I made my yearly trek to BYU for Education Week.  This year Teresa went with me, her first time.  I took many classes on addiction and many on The Book of Mormon.  If you've never been, think about coming with me next year!!

I turned 65 years old in August.  Wow, this is a hard one!  On my birthday I had to renew my driver's license, the first sign that someone considers me old!  I am aware, though, as I visit patients in the hospital how blessed I am to have great health.  I give thanks every day.  Six of my cute little grandchildren came to visit on my birthday weekend.  The house was hoppin'!

My first race of the fall season was on Labor Day, an 8 miler.  I hadn't run this race since 2009, but I remembered how tough it is and I was considering not doing it until the gun went off and my legs started to move.  I have not been training well, I've gained about 10 pounds, and my nutrition is in the toilet (figuratively speaking).  The course is challenging because of the long hills.  I was slow and I did walk (fast) up the hills, but I finished and not in too bad of shape.  I just kept telling myself that one mile is not very long, and to just do that eight times!  I did come in third in my age group (went up an age group this year) and again I count my blessings.

Being in a quiet and boring house has led me to a new hobby.  I'm not even sure why I started, probably because of the 100 empty flower pots around the garden. Doing something creative is good for my soul! 

A friend text me this week and asked me how I was doing.  I text back, "I'm just not sure how life could be any better!"  Challenges and some chaos still surrounds me, but the promises in Mosiah 24:12-16 are true.   

5 comments:

Kim Krok said...

I have a very hard time believing you turned 65?! This new information is shocking to me!! Sounds like you have been busy and having a great summer!

Miriam said...

Happy Birthday!!!! You are the youngest 65 year old I know. I hope to have your beauty, strength, endurance, faith and attitude. Your my hero!

Kathryn said...

SO fun to catch up on your life. It looks like you really have been enjoying yourself. I hope to attend education week one of these years. :) Your grandkids are beautiful! Love and miss you.

Sharron said...

The grand kids are adorable, you look way to fresh for just having run 8 miles and your new hobby sounds like a fun wise one. Each one should't take too long so it can be finished pretty easily! Always my wise friend! Enjoy that empty nest. Jon & I are working on it!

larryrobin6 said...

Hey, I was THAT FRIEND! lol!
I always have my eye on you !
I love the pictures on FB of your NY trip... looks like so much fun! :)

and how funny is this... the code I have to use to post this comment is 65! weird! :0