Sunday, August 9, 2009

I'm Your New Paperboy, er Girl!

Because of certain circumstances I have had to help #5 child with his new job, paper carrier. So for the past several nights, or rather early morning, I have set my alarm for 2:00 A.M. and driven with Anders to the newspaper folding place at Arizona Pavillion to fold and either bag (if there's a chance of rain) or rubber band over 300 newspapers. We then head off for the La Cholla air park and Rancho Vistoso to throw the papers before 6:00 A.M., the newspaper's deadline. I'm usually home by 6:45 for a little nap. It's not too bad, but I wouldn't want to make a career out of it. I'm hoping I only have a couple more days being a papergirl! It is seriously cutting into my hiking and running!

It's really dark that time of the morning in the foothills of the Tortolita Mts. so I like to drive with my brights on. There's very little traffic which means I can keep them on most of the time. The light of Christ is like the brights on a car. We can see so much better when we keep His bright light shining in our lives.

5 comments:

Sharron said...

This for Anders, make sure he sees it: YOU OWE YOUR MOM SO BIG TIME TURKEY!

Thanks, I needed that . rob a& I did Sunday for Terri McCaleb for months and then took her last 6 weeks before she had Megan. Not an easy task! Rob always thought he wanted to have a route but was begging to get our of it by the time that 6 weeks was over. Good luck with it!

Have you noticed that just as the sun is about to peek over the horizon, the temperature drops suddenly and you feel a little breeze? Don't know why, but Rob and I loved that.

Liz said...

I have memories of a paper route too when we lived in Colorado.
There's a lot of sacrfice from people like you getting that newspaper on peoples driveway.
I remember my entire family would wake up super early and everyone would fold newspapers, we would pack them into the station wagon and hop on the back as we threw newspapers in each direction. There were times too when I had to hand deliver them. I could barely hold myself up. I think it taught me to have a strong work ethic though, and I'm grateful for that.
You are a wonderful mother to be helping out.

Dunklees said...

You are such a good momma!

dhillman said...

I have done a paper route--for a VERY limited time. Kuddos to you! Anders is lucky to have you for his mom.
Love the comparison of the lights to the light of Christ. They seem the brightest when it is the darkest, just like His love felt strongest in the darkest moments if we turn to Him.

Ruthie said...

Been there...done that...will never do it again! I hate those early morning paper routes. I wouldn't even say they are really early morning, they are more like staying up REALLY late paper routes.
Anders has the best mom in the world!! And I have the prettiest funniest (Adam agrees with me) aunt in the world. love ya!