Xela and I ran a unique race today (Saturday) in the little eclectic town of Bisbee, Arizona, an old frontier mining town about 2 hours south of Tucson. Bisbee had its beginnings in the 1870s because some adventurers thought there was valuable ore such as silver and gold in the hills only to find out years later the hills just south of the little town was full of copper. The town is built in a gully, canyon as the locals call it, between "them thar hills" with old Victorian/art deco/western style homes dotting the mountainsides. Many of the homes can only be reached by a set of stairs, and I'm talking between 100 and 200 steps! I wouldn't want to have to carry my groceries up those!
There were over 1300 people from all parts of Arizona and other states, too, who ran the race. Xela made the ultimate sacrifice by hanging back with me so together we could enjoy the ambiance of the little town as we ran up, down, around, and through the hills. Competitively I didn't do too bad, 5th out of 34 in my age group. The #1 gal 60-64was 20 minutes faster. I'm not good on stairs! And there were 1034 of them!
After the race we walked through the downtown area, didn't take long, then took off for Tombstone, "the town too tough to die." There were hundreds of people, some dressed in cowboy era clothing, walking the boardwalk along the street where Wyatt Earp did his thing. We walked into "Helldorado Days." Great timing and a great way to end a very fun day!
After the race we walked through the downtown area, didn't take long, then took off for Tombstone, "the town too tough to die." There were hundreds of people, some dressed in cowboy era clothing, walking the boardwalk along the street where Wyatt Earp did his thing. We walked into "Helldorado Days." Great timing and a great way to end a very fun day!

9 comments:
That does sound like such a fun day and who better to send it with than your own!
Reminds me of some of the fun trips my mom and I took, just the two of us. . . wonderful memories!
Stephen told me about that race on one of our first visits down to ol' Bisbee. I thought it just sounded painful, like the leg burning off your body kid of pain. You did great! My Father-in-law always says Tombstone is the town too tough to die, and Bisbee is the town too dumb to die. What a fun weekend!!
What a great race and great time with Xela!
what fun! i love bisbee. I remember a fun invitational there. i have always wanted to the stair one though.
That looks like a fun one. I'll have to consider it for next year. That is fun the Xela enjoys doing races with you!
Linda, I just got home from Tucson and found your comment. I am so happy to have your blog spot now. Yes, you are having a great life! It was so wonderful to see you and talk to you yesterday. Love you!
Isn't Bisbee just the cutest little town. I love the ambiance of it all. But! I didn't know there were that many stairs...I guess after running each and every one...you knew how many there were!
I love Bisbee and Tombstone! Glad you had such a fun time even if there were 1034 stairs!
Xela is so cute! That must have been so fun for the two of you.
I am taking mental note to never go with you to those fun little towns!
so impressive!
Post a Comment