Last Thursday I decided I would run my one and only long training run (trying for 11 miles) for the half-marathon I'm running on August 21st, Park City, Utah. This summer has been so difficult to train effectively, too hot, been out of town a lot, didn't feel like it, etc., etc. But it's crunch time and I have to get a long run in so I won't die towards the end of the race.
I woke up a little late (6:30) but it seemed like a cooler day since it had rained the night before so I piddled around until 7:30 to get out the door. I put on running shorts instead of the knee length shorts I usually wear and I wore my newer shoes, same brand, but a little different style. One mile into the run I noticed my inner thighs began to burn. Uh, oh, where's the vaseline? Then 3 1/2 miles into the run my FEET WERE KILLING ME! And oh yeah, it was hot outside along with the nasty humidity!
I was at Overton and La Cholla with that long 2 mile hill. My run became a walk up the hill until Lambert, then I ran for another mile to Shannon. Then I had to stop and walk so I could concentrate on how much my feet hurt because I couldn't concentrate on breathing, hips, knees, and boiling brains as well as feet all at the same time.
I made it home limping, screaming, and worried. How am I ever going to run 13.1 miles? I relaxed and rested for the rest of the day by going to the movies and shopping! (I still like the dog best.) Today I felt recovered enough to go out again, shorter run (5 miles), earlier (5:10), knee length shorts, and MY OLD FAITHFUL, TRUSTY SHOES! (New ones on the right, old ones on the left) I actually enjoyed myself. Now, as for the half marathon--I will just do my best and if I need to walk, I'll walk, but I am going to put my best friends on my feet.

2 comments:
Oh heavens I know just how you feel! I hate those days when you feel like you can't make it home. But then I always crave running again within a few days. So proud of you as always for doing another half marathon! You have accomplished what I want to do and have not yet done! So awesome!
Cute pic, I know how it feels to break in a new pair of shoes.
Post a Comment