Sunday, August 29, 2010

Saturday's Hike

I have not been hiking since girls camp in June because I was concentrating on training for the half marathon race last week. But it's over and I just bummed around during the week using "recovery" as my excuse, so on Saturday I decided I would go on a long hike in one of my favorite spots, the Tortolita Mountains. This hike starts out at the new Ritz Carleton Resort and goes up into the mountains behind the resort then heads north up the canyon for about an 8+mile round trip trek. The day could not have been nicer, weather wise. The mountainsides were green with ocotillo, wild flowers, and fruit bearing yucca plants. I had never seen these before.

Yucca Fruit

Beautiful View of the Tortolitas

This hike is on the Wild Mustang trail via Upper Javelina via the Wild Burro Trail. And it is remote. I did not see one other person the four hours I was hiking, so if you want to get away and be alone this is a good place. Yeah, I know it might not be a good idea to go hiking by myself, but I did leave a note with Nick telling him where I was going. Often I love the solitude of a hike way out yonder to be one with nature and commune with God. I believe the spirit likes to go hiking, too, because I certainly feel peace out there.

2 comments:

Sharron said...

OK, it does concern me that you are going out there by yourself, but I do understand. It does look beautiful and I have never known that yuccas bore fruit either!

dhillman said...

glad you let someone know where you are! it will be fun to get started hiking again with you