Monday, August 18, 2008

A Tornado Hit Us, Really!

On Saturday night about midnight we got hit by something fierce. A fourth of our roof was torn off by the wind and because it was raining buckets of water, the ceiling in our kitchen caved in. We could not keep up with it, and actually started laughing it was so ridiculous!
Nick is relieving the pressure in the ceiling.
Trickle, trickle
It's going to fall!
There it goes!
My, Linda looks a little weary!

On Sunday I left for Utah on an already planned trip (BYU Education Week). Nick had to deal with the mess on his own. The roof had to be secured because the storm clouds were gathering and of course there was clean-up. At 3:00 in the afternoon carloads of Tortolita Ward church members showed up, about 20 men and 4 women. Within an hour they had tarps and boards nailed to the roof, the front and back cleaned up of all the roof and ceiling trash, and that was loaded in a truck and hauled away. Remember it was Sunday. I believe these are true followers of the one who teaches us to love our neighbor. They saw a need, didn't flinch, and came to the rescue. Thank you Larry Shipley, Gary Clark (HT), and all the rest. Another tender mercy of the Lord!

11 comments:

LucyH said...

What the heck! I can't believe that happened. Aren't ward members and neighbors the greatest! I hope everything gets fixed okay.

dhillman said...

Wow! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Then my next two thoughts were, oh, no, what about education week? and I hope she got some pictures for her blog! :)
Enjoy your week, you and Robin ave fun for me too.
Good luck with the race--I'll be thinking of you.

Scott and Michelle said...

WOW!!!! I am sure Nick was very happy to let you go to Utah so he could clean up the mess himself. He's such a nice guy! That's why he is my favorite Uncle (don't tell the other uncles...they might think they are my favorite, but only because I told them they were....but don't tell Nick I said that!) We were in Tucson Saturday, but left around 8:00...just in time, I guess!

Miriam said...

Crazy....and you got out of helping fix it!

Dunklees said...

Ouch! What a not fun mess! Hope you aare nejoying your trip to Utah!

manda carol said...

Wow, what an adventure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't have a similar experience with this tropical storm coming through. :) I can't wait to hear about education week. I'm so jealous!

Kathryn said...

Oh my goodness Aunt Linda! I am so sorry. What a blessing to have people willing to help. Wish we were there to help!! Have a great week at Education week. Wish I was there too!

Liz said...

Holy Cow!! You guys are great sports to laugh about it!! Thats neat how many people pitched in to help.

Joni said...

Tornados in Arizona??? The only way to get through disasters like that is to have a sense of humor like have shown. I hope you enjoyed Education Week anyway! When bad things happen to us I always ask myself, "Could it have been worse?" The answer is always "YES" and it makes things much easier to deal with.

jenn gent said...

Oh no! I hope repairs go quickly and smoothly.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh that is so sad! I can imagine the laughing fit you had, then the stress of it all hitting as well! Glad it's being taken care of and that you might get a new kitchen...that's always exciting! But man, first the car accident, then this! When it rains it pours I tell ya!