Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Trail Races are Over!!!

Today was my last trail race in the "Blue Pants" Trail Race series. (Blue Pants is the name of the local racing company.) I ran 2.5 miles up the wash, hiked 3 miles up, up, up, then across, then down, and ran 1.5 miles to the end. And if you add it all together, that makes seven miles! Again I got choked up as I and the 18 other runners took off down the beaten path. It was a good run/hike. I paid attention to the trail, I didn't fall, and I made it to the end. Dead last, but came across the finish line running. I looked around for the cheering crowd, but found not one soul except for the race director. I figured everyone was ahead of me, but to have already left the parking lot? Oh well, I did what I came for and I got a really cool medal. It's the one that looks like a pair of blue pants!
My Racing Medals
Out of the eleven races I've competed in I have collected seven medals. It is so fun to have those hanging in my office right along with the race numbers and statistics of the races. You're right, I probably am bragging, but not in a bad way! And besides I am kept humble by a dragon that breathes down my neck, an addiction to food. Well, we all must eat, but how much easier it would be if we didn't have to. I suppose that is the purpose of life, learning how to master self. But that is a subject for another post. As for right now, I will enjoy the achievement of today, while I eat my butter pecan ice cream and chocolate chip cookies!

9 comments:

Robin and Larry said...

Gosh Linda, I have known you over 10 years now.. and I am more impressed with you than I have ever been. I have always admired your strength and determination. Keep it up! COOL medals for a COOL Person! :)

Sandi and Curtis said...

Congratulations Linda! Whether you were first or last...you did it!

dhillman said...

I haven't known you for that long, but like Robin I recognized your strength and determination as well. I have felt a connection to you from the first, probably selfish, seeing that I could learn so much from you.
I wish I would have paid attention--it would have been so fun to be at the finish line and be the cheering crowd.
I am just in awe--I just have one more thing to say--BRAG ON GIRL!!! You deserve it!!

Oma said...

Linda, I'm absolutely flummoxed--I don't even know what to say! You are absolutely AMAZING!!! Of course I knew that twenty five years ago when you had the uncanny knack of showing up at my doorstep EXACTLY when I needed you most even tho neither of us had a telephone! Congratulations on your running successes AND on your determination to face those fears and see the job through. You're my hero! I'm so glad I FINALLY "stopped by" today!

Katrina said...

You are such an inspiration!! Congratulations! I bet you got choked up, I would. That is quite the feat!! I always think about you when I am excercising or doing something I think is too hard!! Thanks for being such a great example!! Love you.

Kathryn said...

Most of the time I run so that I can eat chocolate chip cookies but...what a personal achievement. Way to go!

Dansie Family said...

isn't that why we run? i'm not sure which i love more, food or running, but i don't think i could give up either. way to go!

Sharron said...

Good job Linda! Just enjoy that butter pecan ice cream, it is a great reward to a great lady! ... and friend, thanks for setting such a good example in all aspects of life!

Karalee said...

Congratualtions Linda, what great achievments. I love your blog and the ensights you share. Thank you for being you!!!!!