Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Good Omen? A Sign? Or God's Love!

The red cardinal is my favorite bird of the southwest. Probably because of the vibrant color in contrast to the browns and greens of the desert. On two of my hikes this week, in two different locations, I saw both the male and female cardinal. I'm always thrilled when I catch a glimpse of this spectacular creation, but to see them twice in two different places, that's just pure awesomeness! They say third times a charm and today was the third time in one week. When I drove into our driveway after running in the Catalina Trail Race,the most bright and beautiful cardinal imaginable was perched in the mesquite tree closest to my parking space. He was singing his song of love and joy. I'd like to think it was a gift to me. The best usually do come in small ways.
I finished my 13th competitive race today in as many months; this was a trail race at Catalina State Park. Again, when it was time to begin running with the other 300+ competitors I got choked up with gratitude for my health and the emotional benefits of running. The mountains were particularly beautiful today because of the storm that brought rain and snow!

I read an amazing teaching talk this week by Michael Wilcox. I believe it will change my life, or at least my way of thinking about prayer and the answers we receive or believe we don't receive. You can listen to the talk at http://www.byub.org/talks/talk.aspx?id=1553 or if you want I can email you a written copy.

HAPPY EASTER to everybody! I hope it will be a day filled with good feelings and happiness.

10 comments:

John and Becky Bowler said...

I think it is God's Love. :)What a sweet picture. Good job on the race today. You are very inspiring to many women.

Robin and Larry said...

I thought the ROBIN was your favorite AZ bird? j/k
Did you take that picture for real?
Congratulations on the race today!!!
I have some gooey butter cake for you!
YOU are my HERO Linda!
Happy Easter! :)

Joni said...

Would you email me a copy of Michael Wilcox's talk? jonigraves@aol.com I have a really awesome story (true) about a red cardinal. I'll have to share it with you sometime.
I love it that you share your insights on your blog. You are an inspiration to me!

Dunklees said...

I look forward to reading that talk! Happy Easter!

dhillman said...

I will definately read that talk, it sounds great.
Did you take that picture? I had that same thought!
Congratulations on your race, you are awesome, so inspiring. Robin and I have the same taste in heroes!
I love you, my friend. Have a wonderful Easter day.

Katrina said...

Congrats Linda and Happy Easter. I love your attitude and the gratitude that you have for your blessings and the gospel!!! Love you!

Scott and Michelle said...

Way to go on the races! You are so awesome! I would love it if you could email me a copy of that talk!

Ruthie said...

Congrats on your accomplishment! And I too think the red cardinal is beautiful. Its just so stunning! It's always wonderful to see the Lord's tender mercy's in our life. Can't wait to listen to the talk by Brad Wilcox. Thanks for sharing the link.

Anonymous said...

The cardinal has always been one of my favorites too.

I do remember Alexis. Jack's Dad has met her I think. My parents or my grandma gave her my number, but haven't heard from her yet. I wonder what town she's currently in?

p.s. you're awesome with your races!! wish I was like you.

ahem said...

Linda, I have been checking out your blog for a while. Fascinating to watch your races. I'd like to try that some day....
Here is a short film of beautiful Tucson spring. My son Mike is in children's film at BYU and found this film. It is at www.vimeo.com, then search for arizona cactus. You will know it is the right one if you see Tom Guilmette as the one who filmed it.
Julie West