Monday, April 20, 2009

The Thrill of Doing Hard Things!

Today was the Boston Marathon! A 26.2 mile run through Boston, MA. My young friend Elizabeth Fisher Dansie and her husband qualified and participated in this very competitive run. I signed up for text alerts on my cell phone, to keep me posted on how she was doing. I swear I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes when I got the first text. She was doing so well, she had trained long and hard for this, and I was thrilled for her. The last text I received said she had finished in less than 4 hours. Way to go Elizabeth! I know you have a ton of people so proud of you. (And please forgive me for copying your picture from your blog!)


I want to talk about doing hard things. I have observed in life that when I am able to do something hard or challenging physically, such as fasting, sticking to a healthy food plan, distance running, climbing up the side of a mountain, or anything that gets me out of a comfort zone, I am able to have more strength to endure emotional challenges such as relationships, trying to break a bad habit, or difficult trials that I have no control over. For me there is a correlation between physical discipline and spiritual happiness. Something about the natural man being an enemy to God, I guess!

8 comments:

Sharron said...

This is such a good reminder of a very basic and important principle of living the truly "good" life. something good to keep in the front of our minds, not lurking around somewhere in the back. Thanks!

Katrina said...

Thank you for that reminder. I think we all need that in our lives right now!!

Miriam said...

Tell Elizabeth congrats from me also! She was one of my young women when I was president!

Kathryn said...

I love the way that you always remind me of whats important and lift me up. I totally agree with you. Congrats to your friend. That is really impressive.

dhillman said...

That is awesome that they did that and then in less than 4 hours did you say? Wow that is unbelievable! Very impressive.
I love what you said about doing hard things--something I need to remember more often!

Joni said...

So true, so true!
I had never really thought of it that way until I read an article in a recent Engisn about fasting. You put it in such simple and beautiful terms.

Mariah said...

How cool that you were able to get text alerts. She always worked so hard in track and cross country, I knew she'd always be a runner. Thanks for the reminder about hard things...very timely. ;-D

Dansie Family said...

you are too kind. it was hard, but oh so rewarding. and hopefully i am a better and stronger person because of it. now that that is over, i can focus more on the other "hard" thing in my life: being yw president. i could never picture myself in such a calling because i picture strong, wonderful women like you and sister whetton. but i know the Lord put me here for a reason and hopefully I can have a fraction of the impact on my girls that you guys had on me.