Shaila and I ran a 5K today at Lincoln Park which is clear on the Southeast side of town. But it was worth the $10 fee and the time to get there just because it's fun to do this with my daughter. While a teenager, Shaila and I weren't quite on the "same page" but since we have both grown-up, we are really good friends. I love it!

I would like to tell you a little bit about Xela. Yes, this is actually how to spell her name . It is the name of the ancient Mayan capital in Guatemala, Xela-ju, which is where Nick went on his mission and decided then and there he wanted his first daughter to be named Xela. We anglicized it so people would be able to pronounce it, Shaila. She is the middle child with two brothers on each end. Thus she learned some rough and tumble ways. Xela has the wanderlust in her blood, loves traveling to exotic, out of the way places. I would take her with me anywhere as a traveling companion because I know I would be safe. She has street smarts in the travel world. She is now a grad student at ASU in the field of Social Work, and along with that, she is out to "rid the world of injustice" as Fern's father said to his daughter in "Charlotte's Web." I think Xela is an amazing woman and an even greater daughter.
10 comments:
It's great that you two can be such wonderful friends and have such a good time running together.
Arizona is so beautiful! Isn't this the time of year for the annual Mariachi Festival there in Tucson? We used to go every year.
What a neat story about Shaila's name! She is lucky to have you for her mother.
Wow, I love that story about her name. I never knew that. I am so glad you both can shard these wonderful things together. We live really close to Lincoln Park. I should have come to see you!!!
What a great post! and congrats on another race! Very cool!
I loved hearing about how Shaila got her name. And I think it is wonderful that you two can share such great experiences.
Congratulations to Shaila! Graduatiing and then to go into such a wonderful field. I think she can make a big difference--she is just the kind of person we need working in world, helping to right what is wrong out there!
What a sweet tribute to your daughter! Sounds like you have much to be proud of.
I agree with you! she is one amazing women. She can make you laugh, think, and cry in just one conversation. More of the laughing though! She will always be one of my favorite people. She has helped me create some pretty amazing memories! She is who she is in part because of the mother she had. Way to go momma Linda.
Xela, that is cool and would definitely be slaughtered by others trying to pronounce it. Shaila is a marvelous lady! I love that you two get to spend great mother/daughter time together. I don't get to often. I miss it!
Xela, You can come to Hawaii and work in the hospital here! I know many many Military children that need your help as well as their families! I can totally see You going into that field of work! And way to get your mother moving! I hope I can have a relationship with my daughters like the one you both have! Thanks for sharing!!
she is amazing, i have always thought that about her, especially as she kicked my butt as a freshman. that is so rad that you two race together. i love when my family does races toegether. those are the best ones.
Isn't it amazing how daughters and mothers become FRIENDS once they leave the house! What a great story on her name!
Post a Comment