Saturday, May 2, 2009

Look What I Ran Into Today!



Isn't this a gorgeous desert creature? I didn't take this picture, but I did get some pictures with my phone of the one I saw on the Wild Mustang trail in the Tortolitas about halfway through my hike today. I came upon a black and pink gila monstor sunning himself on a big boulder. It is always such a gift to see something unusual out on the trail. Another unusual thing I saw on the trail today was not one other soul the whole 12 mile loop I was hiking. The reason for such a long hike--I'm trying to get in shape for the girl's camp 4th year backpacking hike I'm doing in June! More details on that later.


Last night I watched a favorite, feel good family movie, " Where the Red Fern Grows." One of the best parts is where a young boy and his two faithful hunting hounds have treed their first raccoon. The only problem is the tree is huge. The situation is the master has to chop the tree down, then the hounds attack the raccoon and they have raccoon soup for supper. The boy soon begins to realize it’s going to be a very big job. After awhile he is resting against the tree when his family finds him and tells him it’s time to go home. I think he has actually been there all night. He says he can’t go home because he had promised his dogs if they treed a raccoon he would do the rest. His ma insists he go home. He says he can’t. So his pa brings an ax from the wagon. Billy continues to chop at the tree for many more hours. He finally puts the ax down, looks up into the heavens and says, “I’ve done my part, can’t you help me a little and do the rest?” With help from a breeze that just happens to begin blowing, it is enough to cause the tree to come crashing down along with the unsuspecting raccoon. I love this part. Because I am learning that I am expected to sweat and toil first at whatever I am trying to accomplish whether it be to overcome a bad habit, repair a broken relationship, carry a heavy burden or anything else before the Lord will extend his hand to strengthen me. Although he may want to, some of my prayers cannot be answered how or when I want them to be even if they are desired good. My preparation and growth is the given good. But I can be strengthened and my burdens will be made light.

9 comments:

Joni said...

Wow! The picture of the Gila Monster took my breath away. So beautiful! I never did see one when we lived in Tucson but I know a couple of people who did.
I liked your analogy. If we get too much help before we really sweat and toil then we are like the story of the caterpillar that is to change into a butterfly but someone saw how much the catterpillar was struggling to get out of it's cacoon and helped the caterillar/butterfly break out. Of course the butterfly that came forth was broken because it never had the chance to strengthen his wings by breaking out of the cocoon on it's own.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sharron said...

Wonderful food for thought. Thank you!

dhillman said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, good for the soul!
I have never seen one of those but hope to some time. They are beautiful--even for a creature!

Kathryn said...

It's one thing to run into that on the trail it's another to find desert creatures in your home. I just had an over 3 inch centipede in my kitchen. Somehow I was convinced to keep it in a container, why I am not sure and it gives me the creeps everytime I see it.
Just so you know I have recovered fine from my fall and feel great. I really do just think it was sleep I needed.
Thanks for the inspirational thoughts. I was trying to remember if I have ever actually seen that movie. I read the book...maybe that should be a FHE activity.

Anonymous said...

Those 4th year girls will be very lucky to have you on that hike! You are the best leader they could ask for.

Cherise said...

I can't believe you saw a gila monster! I have never seen one in the desert and have lived in the desert all my life. How cool and scary at the same time. Yes, I did the Sabino Canyon run a few weeks back. I was hoping I would see you there... It was a last minute registration. -and was hard. I haven't trained hills -at all. Which is what made Whiskey Row so hard for me. I would recommend it if you train hills but since I don't have any around me I probably won't do that one again! I registered for St. George Marathon... (I am a little smarter this time) -yea a down hill coarse! will see if I get in in a week or so!! see at the camp mtg thurs?!

John and Becky Bowler said...

I remember the 4th year hike. :) Fun times!!!

Dunklees said...

Your gila monster encounter made Rick homesick for Arizona. I haven't seen "Where the Red Fern Grows" in forever. It was one of my most favorite stories as a kid. As always, love your analogy to life!

Dansie Family said...

like you "need to get in shape" for the 12 mile hike. you will show those girls what it means to be in shape. our 4th year girls aren't doing an overnighter this year, i am sad. but they will have fun hiking in zion.