Sunday, May 17, 2009

What I Did With the Church Magazines

My Project

I really appreciated all the suggestions to my perplexing question--"should I keep the church magazines or should I recycle them?" As I was contemplating what to do, I remembered all the yummy recipes in The Friend, the thought provoking Mormon Ads in The New Era along with great original music. And of course I wanted to keep the conference issues of the Ensign. So I spent many hours going through each magazine cutting out the Kitchen Kraft pages, along with any music I could find in the children's magazine and The New Era, and the Mormon Ads. I put those in sheet protectors, and I now have three notebooks full of wonderful stuff. Plus I have 39 Ensign magazines with talks by prophets, seers, and revelators! Perhaps I should take this project one step further and give the notebooks away as gifts. Maybe someday...

8 comments:

Dansie Family said...

way to go! I had intentions of doing that wih all my old magazine from Real Simple to Runners World. I had binders for different categories (food, fitness, beauty, organizing, decorating, etc.) I got through a few magazines and put the stuff in binders, but finally got so sick of the boxes of back issues, I gave up and sent them all to DI. I've also stopped many of my subscriptions. i just need to simplify. I still get the Ensign, National Geographic and Bon Appetit (which I save with my cookbooks), but stopped the rest. I do get my dad's old runners' worlds and we get the occassional freebie, but I hate the clutter and waste of paper and I don't have the time to even read them most of the time.

LucyH said...

Wow! I am totally proud of you! That looks like it took a ton of time and effort.

Sharron said...

What a wonderful idea. I'm so proud of you! and you even got it done . . even better!

Miriam said...

Great Idea! and nice job putting it together. I like the comparison of the boxes in the back of your car to the organized binders!

Dunklees said...

Love it! I might have to 'borrow' that idea!

Joni said...

Oh wow! You did go to a lot of work but I can tell it paid off! It's funny, right before you posted your "Help" post, I had just recycled about 3 years worth of Ensigns and New Eras. It is so hard to toss them! Good job on being creative and sharing your ideas with us!

Mariah said...

You are a good woman! I admire the way you solved the problem, and now what a treasure you and your family have. Great idea for the rest of us too.

Kathryn said...

I am pretty impressed! I don't think that I would have been able to accomplish that but what a great resource you now have. Great ideas!