Saturday, June 20, 2009

"Virtue: Change the World"

Twenty-eight 4th years, seven YCLs, two adult leaders, and four Priesthood holders conquered the Butterfly Trail on Mt. Lemmon this past week at Tucson North Stake Girls Camp. We backpacked over eleven miles, slept for two nights in the cold, drank "filtered" water out of cool, clear springs, got unbelievably dirty, ate mac and cheese, chicken and mashed potatoes, and a whole lot of junk food! We laughed, we cried, and we prayed! We were awestruck with the beauty of Heavenly Father's creation, our earth. And I was awestruck with the inner beauty of 35 strong, young women.
Group Photo

YCL's

Conquering the Butterfly Trail was just part of what I had to conquer. The negative feelings of fear and self-doubt was the other part. As I hiked out of camp with my 40 pound pack and the other hikers, I was sobbing inside, "I can't do this, I'm not capable." But I kept walking, trying to catch-up. The girls were so excited and eager. I caught their enthusiasm and was soon concentrating on them, and not on me. Finally about 2/3 of the way into our hike, I adjusted my backpack and it started feeling much more comfortable. Yet, as I look back on the hike, I cannot even remember that I felt the burden of my pack. I have no bruises, my muscles are not sore, no blisters, and I'm ready to go again. I believe my back was made strong and shaped to carry the burden placed upon it, just like the promise about life's burdens being made lighter.

There was a very special feeling at Girls Camp this year, and especially on the 4th year hike. His spirit was with us the entire way. Girls were kind and helpful, considerate, loving, and teachable.For me it was a sacred journey, full of the whisperings of the spirit teaching me. I guess I was teachable, too. Being humbled does that to a person.

14 comments:

Alison said...

That really is so neat. I am glad you had such a great experience and that your burdens were lightened. What an awesome memory for you to get to carry with you for the rest of your life.

Dansie Family said...

way to go! i never doubted. that sounds like such a wonderful experience. i wish i could say i had an equally great experience at camp. one of my counselors passed away up at camp. it was so traumatic and shocking to all of us. but it also revealed the strength so many of these girls have. i guess all the experiences we have, the good and the horrible, will help us in some way.

supersheffam said...

What a neat experience! That must have been wonderful to get away from the world and just be in nature for a few days. It's funny to me that the pictures of the girls look the same as my pictures of my years at girls camp. ;D

Sandi and Curtis said...

Isn't it amazing how the Lord makes our burdens light when we do the things he wants us to. Thanks for your part in making Girl's Camp a success!

Joni said...

Way to go, Linda! Yeah!!! I'm glad it all worked out so beautifully. You are sure an inspiration to me.

John and Becky Bowler said...

How fun. I love the pictures. Those girls were lucky to have such a great leader. :)

Angie said...

Wow Linda I'm so proud of you! That is amazing that you did that hike with that heavy pack and had such a neat experience. Love you!
Angie Whitaker

Dunklees said...

What an inspiring story! Thank you for your testimony!

Sharron said...

Glad to have you back to town! I thought of you all week, not worrying, just wondering if you were having the kind of time it sounds like you had. I'm glad that you had this opportunity!

LucyH said...

I knew you'd make it! I wish I could have gone with you. I bet you were so fun to hike with!

dhillman said...

the girls were so blessed to have you as their leader--i was excited for my niece to get to know you. i thought of you often and kept a prayer in my heart that it would all go like you wanted.
you have changed the world! with the girls at camp and mine too. i hope to grow up and be like you! :)

Me said...

Thank you for being such a great and gentle leader for the girls. I know Madison loves you and appreciates you making her feel so welcome and wanted on the hike. She had a great time and came home changed herself. Thank you!

Future Foundation said...

I will tell you Linda... that I also remembered you in my prayers and thought of you often while you were gone..YOU are the BEST... and will always be my HERO! :)

Future Foundation said...

Ha.. ha... guess Scott forgot to log out... this is Robin! :)