Sunday, March 14, 2010

Being a Chaplain

Perhaps when you hear the word chaplain you think of a minister in the military; someone who prays with the troops. When we were in the Navy many years ago I met a few chaplains, one was LDS and many more non LDS.

While we lived in California I thought that I would like to be a Chaplain, but in a hospital setting, not to join the military. Although the time wasn't right for me to pursue that goal, I kept the thought. Last summer I started thinking about it again and looked online at the hospitals here in Tucson and found that NW Medical Center was beginning a training in October. I applied and was accepted. The training lasted through December. I am now a certified volunteer Chaplain.

There were nearly twenty people in the class, men and women. Some ordained ministers, but most are lay people who have a desire to help others. They have great faith and they believe, without doubt, in prayer as a way to heal the body and the soul. I have learned much about prayer and faith from them as well as from the experienced Chaplains at the hospital. It has been a great journey for me and one I have felt led to. I do not claim any authority, only that I believe in a kind and wise Father in heaven whose love and will it is to bless his children. I have had the honor to pray, while holding hands, with many of the patients, hopefully to bring them comfort and peace.

The other Chaplains know of my religious affiliation, and I have felt their curiosity at my beliefs. This is so good for me. Constantly I'm thinking of the example I need to set. I do believe there is a purpose and reason I've been prompted to do this, if not for others, certainly for me.

5 comments:

Cherise said...

you are amazing! I love and appreciate that you felt prompted to do something and followed it. I am sure you (as well as others) will be blessed as a result.

Cherise said...

p.s. I have some 4th year hike questions for you. How can I contact you?

LucyH said...

Oh Wow! That is neat and a wonderful way to share the gospel!

Unknown said...

That is awesome! How exciting and fun, and what an honor it must be at times! I have surgery this coming Wednesday, want to come and be my chaplain? I LOve it~!

Miriam said...

Wow, that is so wonderful! I'm sure you will have a positive influence on many people in this capacity. Humility and being open to the spirit is an experience many have while hospitalized. This will be a great experience for you and those you serve!!