Monday, March 8, 2010

What's a Mother to Do???

My youngest child got knocked out by a rock or a brick and was rushed to the hospital early Sunday morning. I hate those early morning phone calls from the police, hospitals, uncles, etc. No crushed bones around his eye socket, but there is a hairline fracture.

Never fear, he landed on both feet as usual. I think he's down to about life number 6 or 7 or 5.

I remember getting a phone call many years ago a little after midnight from the hospital when Nick Jr was hit by a car while riding his motor cycle. Shudder! No helmet! Only a broken nose and slight concussion. Oh yeah, and then there was the time the phone rang at 8 in the morning from the police; Xela had rolled her Jeep, slid on the top for 50+ yards on I-10 near the Miracle Mile exit. No injuries, only glass and gravel in her hair from sliding upside down. To be fair I've received adrenalin rushing phone calls about Jorgen and Gens as well.

I'm hoping I can survive this "career choice" of motherhood, and to endure it well. Some days are better than others. There have been a few phone calls such as, "Mom, I need your prayers, my wife's mother is really sick, please pray for her," and "Mom, I've messed up, I want to get my life in order and go on a mission." Another phone call, "being away from home has helped me realize how much I love you and appreciate all you've done for me." Then of course there was the phone call from a son who said, "you're going to be a grandma!!" These phone calls are the ones that have made the trials of mothering all worth it, every second. It is true, there must needs be opposition in all things, for if we don't know the bitter how can we taste of the sweet!

8 comments:

Joni said...

Oh, I'm so glad he is okay! It's just simply amazing how our kids survive these crazy accidents, isn't it? I can sure relate to your experiences and I couldn't agree with you more about the joys and heartaches of motherhood. Just think, when our grandkids get older, the stories will be similar to what their parents experienced and we will feel just as much pain and joy. I guess it never ends in this mortal life. I'm glad we have eternity to look forward to!

Mariah said...

Ohhh, that hurts just looking at it. I'm glad he's ok. I can't imagine the headache that must have followed that.

You are a great example of how to endure this motherhood stuff we've all gotten ourselves into. Ohhh, I can't wait for that "you're gonna be a grandma" call from Gabriel, after he's grown up of course. I'll tell him congratulations and giggle myself silly for all the revenge that will come with it.

You are a strong woman and have mothered many of us, we are all eternally grateful for that blessing in our lives.

Give Anders a hug for us. :-)

Sharron said...

Oh my goodness, he looks so much like Nick in this picture . . . is it the black eye? I am so glad that he is OK but now can one of us turn him over our knee?? Little stinker!

Your motherhood has been way more exciting than mine has, and I must admit, I am glad that I haven't had quite so much. You are a wonderful mother, to many. younger and not so much younger ;-).

dhillman said...

I am so glad he didn't have to have surgery. Looking forward to some sweetness.

Unknown said...

Oooooouch! Oh what I have to look forward to!

LucyH said...

Poor Anders! BUt he still manages to smile for the photo like no big deal! You have very tough kids.

Sandi and Curtis said...

It is amazing what Mother's endure!!!! Glad he is okay. I am sure this won't be the last. I loved how you wrote it all!

John and Becky Bowler said...

I'm glad that he seems to be doing better. Yikes that looks painful!!!