Saturday, May 15, 2010

Xela Graduates!!

Nick and I left Provo at 6:00 a.m. on Friday morning with our goal being Phoenix, AZ for Xela's graduation at 5:00 p.m. near the Phoenix Convention Center. We thought we would have plenty of time but because of construction traffic north of Phoenix we were only 15 minutes early!

We did get to watch all the Masters of Social Work graduates make their way to the podium and receive their certificates. What a thrill and a proud moment for these two parents! Two years ago when Xela started this adventure she wanted to quit and hit the trail again. There were some trying times, but because of her grit she walked the walk and accomplished something great. We know the challenges she endured because her dad edited her papers and I listened to her, not complain but vent!
Nick, Jake, Sam, Xela, and Rachel
Xela babysat for her nephews often and I know they are going to miss each other. Why, you might ask? Not only did we watch her graduate and celebrate with dinner, but we also had to say good-bye!
Xela left this morning for Lake Placid, NY where she will be working for the summer months at least. She landed her first job as a therapist for an organization that helps at risk youth in wilderness experiences, very similar to Arizona's Anasazi, where Xela has worked for a couple of years. I will miss her, but excited she can now fly free and lift others. It is what we are meant to do!
My last picture of Keira before hitting the road. Her shirt says, "100% loved by Grandma." Look, she has the beginnings of a double chin! She did gain a little and grew in length. I loved being able to spend time with her and her parents. Thank you Jorgen and Amy for sharing your little one with me!

10 comments:

Sharron said...

I'm so proud of your little gal! I am not a bit surprised though. She has always gone after what she wanted and she has always cared about others. Remember when she and some of the other girls buzzed their heads so that one girl wouldn't be the only one in that shape due to some treatments?

That little Keira is so cute. She is changing fast too! Good job Jorgen & Amy !

Dunklees said...

Congrats to Xela and to you! She will love the Lake Placid area! If you visit here, give me a call - we are only a couple of hours from there!

Kim Krok said...

Congrats Xela!! I love that girl, and your whole family for that matter. I just saw the post before this one with ADORABLE baby Keira, congrats to Jorgen and Amy too!

dhillman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dhillman said...

It is wonderful that you have been able to share in these great moments with your kids.
Wouldn't Nauvoo be on the way to Lake Placid? :)

charmaine said...

I am proud of her. Aren't our kids wonderful in the things they accomplish? I think we were born a little too early!

Stephanie said...

Way to go Xela! I really admire her, she seems to be driven by service. Her parents deserve a big kudos as well!

Dansie Family said...

congrats to xela!!! i still remember her as the feisty freshman who ran really fast. I bet she is still much the same just more mature.

Sandi and Curtis said...

Traffic up in this neck of the woods is always a mess! The other day it took me 2 hours to get to the temple...normally 40 min. So I am glad you made it. Congrats to Xela! Wow! She will love upstate NY. It is beautiful.

Joni said...

How wonderful! She will be a blessing to so many youth. She looks great!