Thursday, July 29, 2010

Best Friends Forever!

Being a part of the military, and especially living overseas, opens many doors for finding, cultivating, and keeping friends, and that would be "bff" or best friends forever. We were in the Navy, and yes, I say we, because the job of Navy wife is the hardest, or so it said on the commissary (grocery store) bags, for 6 years. As soon as Nick graduated from the University of Arizona Law School we began his law career at the San Diego Naval Base, then Newport, Rhode Island War College and Officer Training School, next the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba Naval Base (a whole other blog), and lastly Rota, Spain Naval Base which was shared with the Spanish Navy. I still keep in touch with a few from Cuba and many from Spain. And it's not only because of being military, but military and members of an organized faith such as my faith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that keeps us close.

Terry Christensen, Jeanie Peck, Linda, Sue VerHoef, Sidney Smith, Monica White

We were all young families, it has been 24 years ago, when we lived in southern Spain. Some, whose families were complete, and others who continued having children after we moved on. The group has grown exponentially! Or in other words there's a whole lot more of us now! What you are seeing here are just a few of the many families that moved in, moved out, and were a part of the Rota Branch. One had moved to the Azores before we left, and the others were there for another couple of years. Six of us got together in Utah for our 2nd reunion since we moved stateside in 1986.
Here's a few of the ever growing group. Parents, kids, grandkids! The oldest child in the group, a young teenager then is now in her 40's. Gulp, am I getting old, too?

Life has truly taken us on different roads since those days. Each has traveled the road of pain and disappointment, the road of sorrow, as well as the road of happiness and joy. I find it quite wonderful that all these roads led us back together for a respite or rest stop, even an oasis, just long enough for us to reconnect, share, hug, increase our feelings of love for each other, and to gird up our loins for the next adventurous road.

Nick and Linda, Sue VerHoef, Sidney Smith
Gary and Monica White, Jeanie Peck, Terry and Nyle Christensen, Michael Smith

3 comments:

Sharron said...

How fun to see all of them again. It can be pretty interesting to see others and catch up on their lives isn't it? I find that even after some of the hard times, I wouldn't trade lives with anyone else. Know what I mean?

Oma said...

Our visit was EXACTLY what the doctor ordered for me! Amazing how just a few hours together has made me feel invigorated and ready to tackle whatever the next year brings...I vote for doing this EVERY summer!!

LOVE YOU!!

Orr Family said...

I Feel the same way! I love all my military friends, and now they are all over the world!!!! So neat you guys still get together!

Also I have a dear friend of mine who's daughter is starting a mission in guess where??? Tucson! Be on the look out for a Sister Mostert! Her father is in the Air force and I knew them while my husband was in Korea! Her mother came to my house one day and told me she was taking me to the Temple while her daughter watches my children! I love this family and Sister Mostert will be an amazing missionary! Make sure she is taken care of!!!!