Saturday, October 30, 2010

Doing Hard Things!

I got back home on Tuesday after spending time with my grandchildren in El Paso and in Fountain Hills. We had so much fun together celebrating a birthday, playing, and decorating Halloween cupcakes.
Gens and his mother, the Witch!

I was home for a couple of hours when the phone rang with bad news, the kind of news that makes a mother heartsick. I knew I had to do something or I would just feel sad, sad, and more sad.

Wednesday morning I took a friend on a hike in the Catalinas (love being out in the desert mountains, so cleansing) and Wednesday afternoon I congratulated new moms at the Women's Center, and visited a friend in the hospital. Thursday and Friday mornings I did my chaplain work at NWMC. This week there were a few patients who had been diagnosed with inoperable cancer who were seeking spiritual help and guidance. This "ministry" is so fulfilling, and even uplifting as I hope and work to bring comfort and peace through the spirit to those in need.

These were the easy things I did to feel better and make sense of the challenges in my life.

The hard thing was to run in a 10k race I hadn't trained for and dealing with a body that has been existing on fats and bad carbs for too long. But I had to do it. I had to get out there and sweat, feel pain, and work hard. And I did. I'm not sure, but I might have been one of the last to cross the finish line! I will admit I walked a lot.

The race was the 28th annual Oracle Run. Lot's of hills. (The picture to the right is me!)

I love running downhill, and I stink at running uphill. Right now my life is on an incline where I have to work hard to get to the top, but if I trust in the Lord, He has promised me that He will help me make it to the summit where I can then begin my descent, the validating part.

3 comments:

Dansie Family said...

way to go on the race as always. sometimes you just have to race even if you aren't fully trained, but it always seems to motivate me for the next one.

Robin and Larry said...

cute pic. of Gens.. why didn't you dress up? bahaaaaaaaaaaaa! j/k

Miriam said...

Thank you for always inspiring me to be better.