Monday, September 1, 2008

Reaching the Goal!

Three years ago this month I set a goal to read the Standard Works, our set of scriptures containing The Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price (writings of the prophets Moses and Abraham and Joseph Smith). I arrived at my goal last week by finishing the Old Testament.

Lest anyone think I'm boasting I quote Ammon (one of my heroes in The Book of Mormon)..."I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things ..." Alma 26:11-12


I haven't been perfect, many days I read just to get those 5 chapters read, and many days I didn't read at all (as you can tell by how long it took). But my life has been changed because I read the word of God. I feel peace and my burdens have been made light even where I cannot feel them upon my back (Mosiah 24:14).

The Book of Mormon is certainly another testament of Jesus Christ, The D & C is full of modern-day revelations (helped me become acquainted with Joseph Smith), The Pearl of Great Price contains beautiful visions of the creation and our first earthly parents, The New Testament taught me about the Savior and his earthly ministry and about the early prophets (Paul is another hero), and The Old Testament has all of the stories we heard as children.

I'm going to start all over again by continuing to study The Book of Mormon for our Sunday School class. This time will be more of a study rather than a read. Thanks for letting me share!

9 comments:

dhillman said...

Wahoo! That is awesome! I haven't read the OT from cover to cover since seminary!

How was the race this am?

Scott and Michelle said...

That is awesome Aunt Linda! What a great example you are to me! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Wow that is very admirable. I need to set that goal!

Liz said...

Thank you for your sweet testimony, you continue to be a wonderful example.

Dunklees said...

That is inspiring! The beginning of the school year (the girls start on Wednesday) has always been a time of new resloutions for me. Your goal may be just the challenge I am looking for.

Sharron said...

I do love your testimony Linda. I am glad that you have come back to AZ so that I can enjoy your company more often. . . and good grief! It only took you three years? Seriously, I am impressed. Now I know one more of your secrets! I am trying to implement some of your wise counsel into my life. It hurts sometimes, but that's OK!

John and Becky Bowler said...

Congrats!!! That's awesome. It takes a lot of dedication to read the Standard Works. :)

Dansie Family said...

great job! i would like to just make it through the book of mormon again. i don't know that i have read it cover to cover since college. thanks for the little nudge.

maia said...

That is awesome, Linda! Way to go! The promises we receive about reading our scriptures really are true, aren't they? What a blessing they are to us. Thanks for sharing this news!