Monday, September 1, 2008

Sahuaro National Park Labor Day Run

On Saturday I decided to do this race because I didn't go to LA as planned. Our house keeps leaking and I didn't want to come home to a bigger mess! Anyway, this was a tough race. Only 8 miles, but continuously uphill for 2 of those miles. I am not kidding you, there were people walking up the hills faster than I was running! Which turned into a learning experience for me. I was so determined (or stubborn) that I was going to run the full course that I forgot about running strategy. If and when you can walk faster than run, why not walk? I could have been swinging my arms and using a longer stride. As it was, I was dead tired (as you can see) when I crossed the finish line. I came in 499 out of 552 runners--my time was 1 hour 34 minutes and the first place runner out of my age group was 17 minutes faster than me. Wow! I was 5th place out of 7 in the 60-64 age group.
I was so proud to wear Nick Jr's business logo running shirt that he gave me for my birthday along with a new hat and socks! He has been a great trainer, very patient and helpful.

I had a defining moment while waiting around at the awards ceremony afterwards. I never would have thought 14 months ago that me, overweight, out of shape, and not inclined to run, would be waiting to find out how well or poorly I had done in a race I had just run. I did that for years for my children, but never for me. It was a great feeling. I think I had dreamed about it, but didn't ever think it was in the realm of possibility. Now, I love to run, I like to compete, and when that starting gun goes off, I get choked up and cry every time. "Linda, look at what you are doing!" I'm sharing this because to whoever reads this, dreams can come true! It may take a long time and a lot of hard work, but it can happen!

12 comments:

Robin and Larry said...

Amen Sister! I was like.. what the heck.. who is that girl? Another race? You Dangerous! :)
Way to go Linda! Congratulations!

dhillman said...

Thanks! those are inspiring words!

LucyH said...

OOh, I'll sport one of those shirts! Good job Aunt Linda!

Orr Family said...

I do not know if you remember me, but I dated Jeff Garner in High school. I remember your sweet family,your home always had such a sweet spirit in it. Thanks for being an example that I can remember later in life. I have since joined the church and have four children. I was excited to find your blog from Liz Whitehorn. Take care, and say Hi to Gens and Shaila for me, Heather Orr

Dansie Family said...

way to go as always! that race is my sister and her husband's favorite. but i made them stay in california an extra day so they could run 10 miles with me and tom. we had fun and ran much faster than we hoped.

manda carol said...

Aunt Linda your posts are always so inspiring. Congrats on the race. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Marianne said...

Way to go Linda! Craig told me that he saw you at the race. You are an inspiration! Maybe I'll see you there next time!

John and Becky Bowler said...

You are a racin' machine!!!

Mindie said...

Way to Go Aunt Linda! You truely are a inspiration. I want to be just like you!

Liz said...

That's awesome and way to live the DREAM!!!

Joni said...

I'm getting closer and closer to taking that leap and train for a half marathon in Tulsa in November. I'm scared! I will have to be my own trainer. Someone told me I can look on the internet to see how to train. Now I just need to make that final commitment! You inspire me!!

Miriam said...

You look amazing!