Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Green Drink

I have struggled this past week keeping my nutrition clean and pure. When I prepare for a race, eating the right kind of food plays a big role. But when I'm not, I totally relax and revert to former bad habits. The result is I don't feel well and I easily gain weight (the worst part). I can pack it on without any problem! My niece posted this healthy drink on her blog (thanks Lucy, I hope you don't mind me using your picture), and I want to share it with you. I'm on my third day of drinking it for breakfast and lunch, with lots of water during the day and eating a regular evening meal. I feel like I'm back on the right track of eating for health.
1 46 oz. can of pure pineapple juice
1/2 C almonds
1 bunch kale (wash and chop)
1 sm. bunch parsley (wash and chop)
1/2 bunch collards (wash and chop)
4 stalks of celery (wash and chop)
2 carrots (wash and no need to peel)
2 apples (no need to peel, but quarter)
2 or more cups of ice (if you want)

Pour half of pineapple juice into heavy duty blender. Add almonds, blend until smooth. Add other ingredients until blender is full. Blend until smooth. Pour into gallon pitcher, and put the rest of the pineapple juice in the blender and blend along with the rest of the ingredients. Add to the first batch. Water can be added to dilute the taste. I thought it tasted great! Plus it was filling and helped me gain back the control I wanted.

I did some research and found another green drink by Dr. Oz from the Oprah show:

2 C fresh spinach
2 C chopped cucumber
5 celery stalks
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 bunch parsley
2 apples
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 lemon

Blend all together and enjoy! This also tastes good and has health benefits as well.

9 comments:

Robin and Larry said...

BLECH!

Ruthie said...

i think i might just try that. I wont be running with you in the 5k but I'll be chearing you on (while I'm eating my candy corn and pumpkin pie j/k).

Katrina said...

Umm, sounds tasty!! I did your tag on my blog so you will have to go and check it out!! Maybe I will try that green drink! Here's to being healthy..

Sharron said...

Hmmmm, I've always wondered about these drinks. I'm going to trust you and try them, one at a time. do you eat anything else until supper time or do they keep you going. How much do you drink for each meal, etc. ?

Linda said...

I drink a lot of water. It really is very filling and I haven't felt extreme hunger or cravings. I drink a large glass full, probably 2 cups. I wouldn't do it for more than 2 or 3 days, then maybe go to once a day. It did help me.

dhillman said...

Seriously, what is kale? I think I could do something like that for lunch...but two meals. Man, I wish I had that kind of will power

Dansie Family said...

sounds gross but healthy. i've been on a juicing kick before, but never really stuck to it. i should try again. lucy's actually doesn't sound too bad, the pineapple and apples would make it pretty sweet.

John and Becky Bowler said...

Looks too healthy for me. lol

Kathryn said...

I am not sure about drinking anything that is green but I am tempted to try. I am a firm believer in finding what works for you and what motivates and helps you get back on track. Way to go! See you on Thursday!