Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Older Brothers

These are my two older brothers, Buck and B.J. right before the 5K Turkey Trot we did in Pahrump, NV. We spent Thanksgiving together this year with three of Buck's eight children and five grandchildren, seven of B.J.'s nine children and 17 grandchildren, and with two of our five children along with two grandsons. There were more people at my nephew's home than we could count feathers on a turkey! It was organized chaos, with loads of laughter, hugs and kisses, and a scrumptious feast. I loved it! I feel so blessed to have been raised with two older brothers whom I have always adored. We are each unique, but fortunately accept and love each other for our unique characteristics. It is a marvel that Buck is still with us, but because of a heart transplant he had 2 1/2 years ago he is healthy once again. I respect and admire both of these men.

Two observations I made this year during the Gent family gathering: because of how diverse our family seems to be, we are representative of Heavenly Father's family, also very diverse. The great things is, we all love each other. The second thing I observed was that everyone seemed to be in a "good place" in their lives; not too much drama. I could feel a higher level of happiness and peace. I feel so grateful for the blessing of family: my own, the family I was raised in with all the extended family, and Nick's family.

And as far as the Turkey Trot went--I came in first in my age group (there were only three over 60!) and Jorgen took first overall!! Eight family members participated. We had a blast!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! First place and still going strong. I like your info about you and Nick. Love learning new stuff about you!

dhillman said...

Hey, great job! Congratulations to you, to all of you! I loved your thoughts about your family--it gives me hope.

Joni said...

Linda, I hope to be as fun and gracious and inspiring as you are at 60. I've got ten years to work on it! I still haven't motivated myself enough to start training for a half marathon. It's always in the back of my mind. I still feel really "wrung out" from everything that has happened this year. I'm guess I'm waiting for some magic wand to wave some new energy into me!

Miriam said...

Wow sounds like a wonderful family reunion! brothers are wonderful!

Sharron said...

What is that expressions ... "the nuts don't fall far from the tree?" I'm glad that several of you do the runs, it would make it tons more fun!

Sounds like you all had so much fun ... another goal for others to set in their lives, don't ya know?

Dansie Family said...

we did a turkey trot as well. i think it will be a family tradition. of the 50 or so particpants, 19 were my family. and many were non-runners participating in their first race. it was a super fun trail run in the rain. and my niece won the whole thing on the women's side, my husband took second in men's, and i took third. i think my nephews took first, second and third in the 1.7 mile option. isn't it fun to run with family?

Dansie Family said...

oh and there were 45 of us at my parent's house, 7 of the 9 kids with their kids. great fun.

Dansie Family said...

yea, i live right on the border of la verkin and hurricane. i will have to look your brother up. is he lds and if so, what ward? i have many friends in la verkin, maybe they know him. its a small world.

Mindie said...

I loved having you guys at our home this Thanksgiving. I also love reading your comments on the event. I hope we can run another race together!

Katrina said...

congrats!! That sounds like so much fun with all the family!!! I am so glad that you appreciate them and all of the diversity. I think that is what makes big families so special. There is always someone to relate too. Glad you did so well in your race!!

John and Becky Bowler said...

Sounds like you had a fun Thanksgiving with family. I liked how you mentioned that Heavenly Father's family is so diverse. That is so true. :)

Layla said...

Aawww! Here all these years I thought we owned you, and here you have this whole other family! Well, I guess we can share. They look nice enough.