Sunday, April 4, 2010

Passover Seder

Since Easter, General Conference, and Feast of the Passover were so close together this year I wanted to do something unique and have a Seder or Passover dinner. So I drove to the Mosley's cabin in Pinetop with my bitter herbs, grape juice, lamb shank, mortar (charoset), parsley, boiled egg, and matza to celebrate the Passover as well as watch General Conference. We read the scriptures in Exodus that tell about the 10 plagues, and why the children of Israel put the blood of a lamb on their door ways. We also sang hymns. This was not meant to offend our Jewish brothers and sisters but to understand this tradition, and to draw closer to the Savior since He was a Jew. He was celebrating the Passover with His apostles the night of the Last Supper. This was also when He taught them about the Sacrament. I loved doing this and learned a lot.

I hope everyone had a chance to go to at least one session of Conference. What do you do to keep the uplifting feeling with you after conference is over?

5 comments:

Sharron said...

How special! I served some of these foods to my primary class years ago and some of the kids still remember it. No lamb that day, but the other foods can really leave an impression. Helps us remember how different life was and helps us think on what occurred in those days.

Sandi and Curtis said...

How fun! We are attending a Seder Dinner at BYU this Wed night with a class as part of it with Victor Ludlow. Can't wait. Thanks for sharing the info!

Dunklees said...

How interesting! I admire your desire to gain mentally and spiritually by going out of your comfort zone.

Anonymous said...

Hey! That's my moms and pops! Mom said they had a great time!... and I don't doubt it - I know how crazy the WGGM crew can get! xx

Liz said...

Linda you look stunningly beautiful in this picture.

What a neat thing to do to remember the Passover dinner. I remember doing something like that in seminary.

To answer your question about what I do to keep the uplifting feeling when conference is over is to read and hear the conference talks all over again throughout the next six months.

I'll go on lds.org and listen while I'm editing pictures on the computer. My stake president listens to talks while he runs, he's an avid runner too.

I especially like to read the General Confernce Ensign and highlight all the important parts that are meaningful to me. Often times, once or a twice a week this replaces scriptrue reading for me.

Even though I've heard the talks once before, I'm amazed how much I've missed by going back and listening to them again and again.