Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Cycle of Life

*"To love another person is to see the face of God." Although I didn't see the face of God this week, I did feel His sweet love. About mid-week I learned of the passing of a humble sister in our Ward. It was my privilege and opportunity to help clean and straighten her home in preparation for her non-member family to come and claim her belongings. Today I witnessed two newborn babes being blessed by their worthy fathers who have the authority to act in God's name. This is the cycle of life, as we in mortality know it, where one bids good-bye to their earthly home and others eagerly say hello to life on earth. I sat with one of my dear young friends, Angie, and her little one in Sacrament meeting. One of the babies being blessed is the son of another young friend, Mariah. My blessings are so great to have had association with these young women for many years. Now they are mothers, another cycle of life. This morning my son, Anders, asked me to help him prepare the Sunday School lesson he was teaching in the University Ward Gospel Essentials class. Two years ago I could not have imagined this happening. Is this yet another cycle of life, where once we were lost, and then found?

It is a true principle that adversity brings the blessings of heaven, and sometimes we just have to press forward regardless of what is going on around us. Our broken heart can be mended, we can be whole once again. Not only is this a cycle of life, but a recycling of each soul who is great in the sight of God.

(*This is a quote from Victor Hugo's epic novel, Les Miserables.)

10 comments:

Orr Family said...

I have to say, I love this post. I love hearing about the service you rendered to a sweet lady, She will thank you later! I love hearing baby blessings, I cry at everyone, even if I do not know the family. There is just something so sweet about a baby coming to an eternal family, and the blessing about how valiant those little ones were and are! I also am happy about your son. My mother in law has 10 children, only two went less active, and I know how she prayed for them, and how it hurt her, she is dramatic though! There is nothing better than seeing you children making correct righteous decisions! I have enjoyed seeing my children making those decisions on their own! Lastly, I love the quote. from my personal life, I know the feeling of feeling whole again, of having a broken heart feel mended, and there is no feeling better! I am so thankful for a savior that makes all of this possible. I should have just emailed you, but I really loved this blog entry!

Sharron said...

Thanks you for this post Linda, it's beautiful.

When I saw that Anders had taught the lesson I was so happy and told Jon to look at that! He got his "very pleased smile" and said that, "Oh, he is doing just fine". I wish I could have down there!

Cherise said...

very well put. I appreciate your insight. Thanks!

dhillman said...

What a great post, thanks. I love Les Mis.. and love that quote. And I LOVE that Anders was teaching Sunday School--wow! I feel like I did thinking how Teresa must have felt watching Zach bless his baby.
I feel the need for a group hug!

Cami Epperson said...

"Amen!" To all of it. The cycle of life has reared its head many-a-time to me this past year and has given me insights that I never knew were there.

I'm jealous you get to see Angie and Mariah. I hope they are all doing well too! And yay for Anders! That is the best feeling when one that was lost is found. Here's hopin... :) Love ya!

Kathryn said...

First of all, way cute pic. Is that your hand? Aunt Linda it is all so true. This year I have witnessed all of the above and have been touched by so many lives. What neat experiences. love ya.

Miriam said...

Great Post especially about Anders! Go Anders!

Mariah said...

Thanks for the post. I've felt like I'm on an emotional roller coaster that is broken and I can't get off, or make it stop and stay on the high part. I'm so greatful that Stephen is able...and willing...to serve and bless us with his Priesthood. It was so great to look back and see you and Angie smiling back. I was so happy having you both there.

Reading about Anders brought a tear to my eye. He's a good kid and is doing so well. It's good seeing him around again. It's good to know that we all have earthly parents and a Heavenly Father that never give up on us.

Mindie said...

I am so inspired by you in all things. I to know exactly how you feel. And am glad that my oldest has found her way back to the fold. I am currently praying for another that is not really fallen away but needs to find out on there own the great value of the Gospel. I know in time that they will. Because we have a Father that loves us and wants our success in this life. We all find out evenually he does.

Layla said...

Your comment on my post meant a lot coming from someone like you. I have thought the same about you over the years, Aunt Linda = goodness. I am so proud you are my aunt and really look up to you. Then I read this and it brought more tears. (And reinforced my Aunt Linda = goodness statement). YAY Anders!!!!! No matter what mistakes he has made, Anders is a good kid (maybe not a kid anymore but whatever) and would make an AWESOME teacher. I'd love to go to his class! We love Anders and we love you, too. Thank you for your kind words, and the inspiration I get when reading your posts.