Thursday, January 22, 2009

Climbing a Mountain

Mt. Timpanogas
Provo Canyon
Saturday is my second trail race in the series of three. This one is in the Tucson Mountains and 4.9 miles long. Shaila and I tried to run it last week, but we couldn't ever find the right trail. What we did find was very rocky, but not too steep. My finger is healing well enough, still swollen, very sore, and I can't bend it completely. I'm scared. I don't know that I'm afraid of falling, but I am afraid of being foolish for running in competitive races. Although there's no way I do this to win, only to finish. I guess I'm having self-doubt. My nutrition has been way out of whack (stress and avoidance), and I haven't hit the pavement too often in the past two weeks.

If I don't run or hike the trail on Saturday, it will be a serious defeat for me. I will have "run" away from climbing that mountain, which will only make it easier to not do hard things. Let's face it, life is hard! I must meet my Mt. Timpanogas and climb.

6 comments:

Scott and Michelle said...

I think you are amazing to do what you do. I'm still young...ish...haha and I don't do half of the thing you do, although you make me want to try a few more things! Totlally different subject, how do you have people's pictures by their blog name on your blog list? I love it!

Liz said...

Yikes your injury looked like a bad one, and luckily it really wasn't. I am so impressed that the girl behind you left the race to help you. One would obviously hope so but you never know these days.
About your self doubt. No way!!! you are Awesome !! and so inspiring to even try, which doesn't make you foolish at all. It just makes the rest of us get our butts in gear with no excuses. I admire your persistence, optimism and drive. Keep going, your doing great.
I did go private in my personal blog and I realized I don't have your email to invite you.
Do you mind emailing me at lizwhitehorn@cox.net leaving your email address. thanks

Joni said...

I love your attitude of "it's not to win but that I finish". You go girl!
On another note, I accidentally erased my last post that you had commented on. Would you mind posting that again...I know Cassie reads my comments and that would really make her day!
Thanks!

Kathryn said...

You can do this! I will be thinking of you! Just enjoy the climb and the beauty!

Katrina said...

Linda you have never been one to run away from anything. I remember when I was younger, like young woman's age younger, and I always looked up to you for that. Life is hard. I have found though that when you take something hard and completely defeat it, it makes life so much sweeter. It really does because you realize what an incredible person you are and that Heavenly Father has made. Lets face it without him we wouldn't be. I admire you, I am so glad you take the tiny miracles and mercies and love them and also take the trials and tribulations and turn them into something good. Good luck with your Mt. Timpanogos.

dhillman said...

Good to talk to you today. By the sounds of it you decided to do the race---good plan!! Good luck. I will be thinking of you.
Maybe we can figure out a way to combine "all about me" and climbing timpanogas and come up wiht a good motto for us!! :)