At about mile 3.5 and after the steepest and hardest section of the trail I tripped on a rock putting my left hand out to break my fall. I hit my head and my knee on the way down, too. No damage there, but my ring finger was puntured to the tendon and bone. I thought for sure I had broken my finger because of the distortion I saw. As I tried to move my hand the finger went back into place, but then I noticed blood dripping on my pants. I turned my hand over and yikes, I could see white lines (the tendon) and thinking it had to be bone, I was still pretty sure I did break that finger.

Two thoughts: Am I an old fool thinking I can do these races or do I put my hiking shoes back on and hit the trail once again going slow and steady, but this time wearing padded gloves!

13 comments:
Any thoughts with "old fool" attached to them need to go!--must be the hit on the head making you think that. ;)
I am glad that your finger picture is blurry. And how sweet of those racers to take care of you.
One more thing, so happy you can still blog with your finger bandaged--that would just add insfult to injury.
I definitely don't think you are too old to race. How many have you done now and not fallen? Just pick yourself up and look forward to the next race! Hope your finger doesn't hurt too bad!
Your previous blog you sound discouraged, something I have never heard before a race! But old fool no way! Keep running to shows us young moms what we can look forward too! Maybe what we all can learn from this is how you went into this race, discouraged and not prepared. When we are not fully prepared, we can expect to fall! I am glad you did not break your finger, or cut your tendon! I saw something like your finger in Addison's foot, but the tendon was cut into two pieces, it was crazy looking, Kind of cool! I hope you heal well, and start training for the next race!
Put your hiking shoes back on - you are the inspiration for too many of us!
Glad you are okay. What a nice lady to help you out! Keep up the running, eventually I'm going to run a race with you!
What good sports the others were and amen to Danette's coments. Is your head OK? Could give you a real headache or something?!?!? Hope the finger heals up quickly, what a pain!
All I can say is OUCH! Glad it wasn't worse, but what a pain! Literally! A pain in the finger!
Oh my heck!!!! I could barely read that! I'm so glad you are okay, and what a nice person to go back with you. Don't get discouraged. Sometime these things just happen. If you really love it then keep doing it. If it isn't that fun and doesn't feel worth it, then try something else. Hope your finger heals okay!!!
Keep on running Aunt Linda! You are an inspiration to me. I was almost sick looking at the picture. Hope you heal quick!
Well, I know that you won't just stay put. I am sure you will be out there again. You have worked to hard to get where you are!!! This, although a painful one, is just a minor setback!! I am so glad that those people where so kind to you!!
war wounds are the best. it means you were out there giving it your all. hope it doesn't discourage from doing more. trail races sound fun.
Hey Linda, how are you doing? Keep us posted!
I'm so sorry you were hurt and so proud of all your running. Keep it up and I hope you are feeling better.
Post a Comment