I spent my New Year's Day hiking in the Tortolita Mountains with friends. We started on the Wild Burro Trail to the Upper Javelina, then hooked up with the Wild Mustang Trail. It took over 4 hours to hike 11 miles. We climbed about 1500 feet in elevation. For me it really was a great way to begin 2009.
This is a little stone house used by a homesteader many years ago.

This is Wild Burro Canyon. I couldn't help but wonder what it's like when water is flowing; a treat I don't think we will see very often.

This is a petroglyph on the Wild Burro Trail. I am a little suspect because there is only a single picture on a huge boulder. Who drew this animal and when?

This trail is the first in a series of trails I plan on running starting next Saturday. I can guarantee I will be hiking a lot of it, not running. There are some steep inclines and much of the trail is very rocky, but I've accepted the challenge and I know I can do it, because I did it today! I love hiking; it helps me feel free!
9 comments:
Happy New Years!!! Looks like you had fun hiking. The Tortolita Mountains are beautiful. :) I love the pictures. They are great!
I miss hiking in AZ! When I lived in Phoenix I went every other day hiking on Camel back Mt! It made me feel so strong and the view was amazing! That is one thing I can not do here in Hawaii! there really are not Mt's! I love seeing the pictures, it makes me miss my home! With everywhere I have traveled and lived I still miss AZ!
I have never hiked in the tortolitas...I will have to put that on the list for this year!
And so happy to hear that your niece is doing well!
The mountains are gorgeous!! I am so amazed at how in shape you are. 11 miles that is a lot!! Great way to start the new year. I always feel so accomplished after a good hike. Don't get me wrong, it's been a while, that is one of my goals though for the new year!!!
You inspire me....for 2010. I am starting a 1 year, on-line Master's degree program that will dominate my time in 2009. But, if I can find some hills in Georgia (I hear they do exist), hiking them sounds exciting.
I have discovered a love for hiking since marrying Joe that I didn't have before. I love it when our family gets outdoors...as long as a shower isn't too far away! Have you seen your sister-in-laws new blog? We will convert them all!
Wow that looks beautiful. I really should start doing more things like that. Especially now that the weather is nice for a few months! You're an inspiration!
you get me so excited to get outside and enjoy nature. I've been taking walks with the kids the last few days because the weathers been so good and I've loved it. There's so much to enjoy out there. love ya!
Post a Comment