Friday, May 29, 2009

Why Me? Why Not Me?

Several months ago I was asked to be the Stake 4th year leader for Girls Camp which means a two-day backpacking hike of about 10+ miles on the Butterfly Trail, Mt. Lemmon. I thought it was rather humorous that they would feel inspired to ask a 60+ year old sister to do so. Of course I said, "oh, yes, I would love to; this will be fun!" I haven't done a lot of backpacking, but I do feel confident in my hiking abilities, you know, "just put one foot in front of the other and keep moving," and that will get you anywhere! Up the trail, down the road, through a trial.

Today, Friday, a few of us, Bishop MaGee (priesthood leader and hiker extraordinaire), Caryn (Stake Camp Director), Julie and Jana (Stake YW Presidency), Wendy and Leslie (3rd year leaders who stayed with us just as far as the 3rd year hike went), and me hiked this trail, only we didn't do the loop of 10+ miles that I will do with the girls, we hiked about 6 miles from one trailhead to another. I'm tired. It is a tough trail, a lot of going up, up, up, and a little going down, down, down. I wasn't carrying a 35 pound pack today, only a 3 pound day pack. We saw breathtaking views of Tucson, as well as the other side of the mountain looking towards San Manuel. There are still visible results of the 2002 fire, but Mother Nature is doing her job and has filled the forest with green ferns, flowering trees, wild strawberry plants, and much more. It was peaceful and serene.

Even with all its beauty I am concerned. I have stewardship for nearly 30 fifteen year old girls. Physically, am I capable of doing this? These young women will need my love, my care. How can I possibly strengthen these youth when I will be concentrating on putting my own one foot in front of the other with a 30 pound pack on my back? Deep breath, Linda. I have faced trails and I have faced trials before (it's more than coincidence these two words are similar in spelling). I can do this, but not alone, daily I will need spiritual help, as in all the trails or trials I have met.

The Happy Hikers
Can you see the wild turkey? We saw three!
We had lunch at this little spring.
Indian paintbrush is my favorite mountain flower, and can you see the cactus growing out of a rock!
Caryn is standing behind a jet engine that fell from an aircraft flying overhead many years ago.
Rick is standing among a field of ferns.
Could this be my "sacred grove?"
Halfway through the hike and still alive!

13 comments:

Dansie Family said...

you'll do fine. you are in much better shape than most of the girls, i am sure. that (or camp leader of any sort) is my dream calling. have fun with it.

Kim Krok said...

They couldn't have picked a better 4th year leader! Not only will you survive the hike but I'm sure you will make it more fun for the girls than anyone else could. What a great calling!

Sharron said...

You will be the dream leader for these lucky girls. I'm glad that you get this wonderful opportunity!

This does sound like a great day for all of you. Some day . . .

Unknown said...

What a beautiful hike! I must admit that carrying a backpack is very hard work (MY opinion). So pack as lightly as possible, and pass your heavy stuff out to the girls packs to carry for you! =) That's my best advice! GOOOOD luck and have a blast. What young woman doesn't love Sister Goodman! What a lady!

Mariah said...

What beautiful pictures! You'll do great during the hike, I know your in better shape than many of us around. What a lucky bunch of girls! Girls camp is so much fun as an adult leader...we never knew our leaders loved camp so much because it was a big camping party for them. ;-D I appreciate the parallel you drew between hiking trails and surviving trials. Thanks for the reminder...

Cami Epperson said...

You can do anything Miss Linda! You're amazing! And you will be the most fun leader for those girls to be with! :)

Dunklees said...

If I had to pick somebody to take my girls on their 4th year hike, it would be you. Not only will you be great, but I know you'll live to blog about it!

LucyH said...

I wouldn't worry about yourself. You are totally capable. I would worry about all those 15 year old girls making it!

John and Becky Bowler said...

How fun. You will do great. :)

Anonymous said...

Linda thank you for your wonderful example! Those girls are going to be blessed to have you leading them. That is such a beautiful hike too!

Joni said...

Wow! I need to send Lisa to Tucson for girls camp! Our stake has never done those hikes for the girls. I don't know why but they just ignore that part of certification. We also sleep in air conditioned cabins at a resort on a lake, the camp cook cooks all of their food and does their dishes. The girls do almost all of the certification during mutual for two weeks before camp. While at camp they float down the Arkansas river in rafts. They are met halfway with a picnic. They do about a one hour service project and play, play, play. They swim in a huge swimming pool at the resort where they stay. They never learn how to cook over a campfire, how to put up a tent or sleep in it, they have no idea what a latrine is or outdoor solor showers. No crafts. Hardly any singing of camp songs. I guess I should stop comparing but I do feel like the girls in Tucson learn survival skills that will be beneficial to them for the rest of their life.

dhillman said...

11 comments! Wow!
Can't wait to read about camp on your blog--you know when you write "I loved it, I don't know what I was worried about, it was hard but so worth it...."
It will be fun to be up there with you and yes I am glad it is not me! I couldn't do it but you will be fantastic for those girls!

Miriam said...

Aren't you glad that you are physically prepared to do this!!! What an example to these girls you are, both spiritually and physically. And by the way you don't look a day over 40 :)