
I know this picture is old news, but I wanted a photo go with my blog about Charles Dickens, author of Nicholas Nickleby and other wonderful books. Mr. Dickens was a favorite son of England, and in particular London, where this famous clock, Big Ben, majestically stands. Tonight I am leading a discussion in the book club I belong to about Nicholas Nickleby, by Charles Dickens. I enjoyed this book very much. It's funny, tragic, and virtuous. And the best part is that goodness conquers evil. I like that kind of a story, don't you? Charles Dickens tells the tale in many of his books of caring for the poor, "lifting the hands that hang down and to strenghthen the feeble knees." Even though he wrote his books well over 100 years ago I can try to live my life as the heroes and heroines did in his stories. Wish me well in my discussion tonight. By-the-way any and all are welcome to join this book club. I'm not terribly active, but I do read what seems interesting to me. Next month's book is The Kite Runner, an intriguing story that takes place in Afghanistan. Loved it--5 stars. Oh, and tonight I'm serving English Trifle with fresh blueberries and strawberries!
9 comments:
If I lived there I would be at your book club meeting tonight!!! It was so great being able to spend some time with you when I was in Tucson. You are really an inspiration to me!
I saw the movie, but I haven't read the book. Maybe I should at that to my goodreads list.
I hope your meeting went well...I am sure it was great. What are you reading next?
I don't know if you will read this, but maybe you'll see if I answered: we are reading "The Kite Runner." I've already read it and loved it. Come join our group!
My favorite part of the photo is Nick's Tucson hat.. haha! cute! :)
YUM! You are making me hungry! Are you sure that is Nick standing near you? Love you guys!
I love Charles Dickens' books. They are some of my favorites. I love to get lost in that time period. I haven't read this book yet, but I'll look it up the next time we take a trip to the library!
Hope your meeting went well. That's cool you're in a book club. The trifle sounds yummy too!
Make sure you post that recipe for the trifle!
I hosted book club for our ward last night as well. We read "Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind" by Ann B Ross, a fun witty book. It feels good just talking with other woman, and I'm glad to hear that you had a good time as well. Dessert looked good. Have fun reading next months book, it sounds interesting, we'll be reading "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. I'm excited for this next read.
Post a Comment