Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thinking of our Pioneer Forefathers

I always think about our spiritual heritage this time of year because the saints entered the Salt Lake Valley over 160 years ago around July 24th. This is a picture of Nick and me at Devil's Gate in Wyoming. We did a handcart trek there three years ago, and I have since trekked two more times in California. Each time, I "walked" for Nick's great-great grandmother, Helena Pedersen Mortensen, a strong and courageous woman. They were in the Willy Handcart Company. Their family story is one of miracles and mighty works of good. Every time I hike or run I am reminded of the pioneers and their steadfastness, their immovable faith in God; it helps me put one foot in front of the other and just keep moving. Thank you pioneers, thank you Mortensen family. A little side note: two of our children are named after members of this courageous family, Jorgen and Anders.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a fabulous thing to keep in mind when encountering physical trials! I can only imagine the women who trekked full term of pregnancy...ow, ow, ow! I think I would rather endure the trials I have than the trials they had to go through. Don't you LOVE July?

Liz said...

so glad you found me! I had a great time with you and our fun friends the other night. What neat memories you must have around the 24th of July when we celebrate our pioneer heritage. I still remember vividly when the youth did the pioneer trek for the stake, I have a greater appreciation now, and it wasn't hard compared to what our ancestors have done for us. Thanks for sharing

Dansie Family said...

i've always loved your kids' names. now i do even more. we've used old family pioneer names as well. we love pioneer day up here especially. porter loves it more than any of us because it is also his birthday. yea for the pioneers!

dhillman said...

I love that picture of the two of you, you look authentic. I love that you named your kids after your pioneers. It helps that they had cool names!
I think it is fitting that we celebrate our country and our pioneer heritage so close together, they are so interconnected. I can't imagine enduring what they were asked to do. And I also think of the conference talk that described 1st generation members as pioneers. My mom is one of those and she gave up alot for the church, too. Those examples keep me going and give me perspective.
Have a great day!

John and Becky Bowler said...

I love that picture of the two of you. You really do look like pioneers. I had no idea that Anders and Jorgen were named after your pioneer family. That's too cool! How are Anders and Jorgen doing? I haven't seen either one of them in years.

Robin and Larry said...

Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked..